« ZurückWeiter »
4. These are the générations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.
5 And every plant of the field, before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew; for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
157. ou before, or not yet. This word is of uncertain derivation, but of frequent use; it is rendered before, yet, ere, not yet, (onun Exod. x. 7.) and is also prefixed by 2 and 13.
The obvious design of the term in this place, is to express that every plant and herb was formed perfect in the first instance, and did not grow up to maturity from the ground, either by a rapid or tardy growth; so that when man was formed, in a mature state, he found every thing prepared for him. The wisdom and power exercised in such immediate production were perhaps not greater than would have been necessary through the intervention of mediate causes.
158. nox" it grew, 3d pers. sing. masc. fut. Kal of 1p to bud or spring up.
159. x5 not, from 1785 to be weary, or fail. As a noun it is put for nothing 160. Toon caused it to rain. 3d pers. sing. masc. pret. Hiph, of
. 161. 9'8 not. From j* labour, or to be weary. ;** is also nothing, none, no, neither, without, it is gone.
162. 729to cultivate. 4 vid. rule 142. 73y infin. Kal, to obey or serve, to till the earth. Vide num. 476. 423. 427. gay is also a servant, subject, soldier, or worshipper.
vapour. 1 . 78 " , with a formative x.
164. obyo went up. 3d pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of nby to ascend. 165. ja or“'y from. A particle from in to distribute. Vid. num. 594.
166. and watered. i conjunctive. Vide note on num. 19. apun is the 3d pers. masc. sing. pret. in Hiphil, the 'is omitted. Vide rule 81. From po to water.
.to rain מטר
,to sendforth ידה from איד or אך ,and coahour
. I convers ואר .163
האדמה: 115 וייצר 167 יהוה 154 אלהים את 4 האדם 117
עפר 168 מן 165 האדמה 115 ויפח 169 באפיו 170 נשמת 171 8 חיים 172 ויהי 20 האדם 117 לנפש 173 חיה: 174 ויטע 175
יהוה 154 אלהים 3 גן 176 בעדן 177 מקדם 178 רשם 179 9 שם 179 את 4 האדם 117 אשר 40 יצר: 167 ויצמח 158 יהוה 154 אלהים 3 מן 165 האדמה 115 כל 97 עץ 58 נחמד 180 למראה 181 וטוב 26 למאכל 137 ועץ 58 החיים172
176 ועץ 58 הדעת 182 טוב 26 ורע: 183 ונהר 184
הגן יצא 185 מעדן 177 להשקות 186 את 4 הגן 176 ומשם 187
is the 3d pers , masc . sing ייצר .amd formed , 1 conversive וייצר .167
As עפר .168 ,עפר ;,
עפרה , .is the third pers.masc יפח.and he breathed
. ) conjunctive ויפח .169
. . . fut. Kal of 78' to fashion. Verbs in Pe Jod perhaps never form the third pers. sing. fut. in Kal with the double · but in Hiphil they do. Buxtorf cites this place and Psa. cxxxviii. 6.
verb, to cover with dust; ay is also earth, mortar, rubbish, a young roe. 779y lead.
. i . ' . sing. pret. Kal, and the root, to breathe.
3 in 1 . tion for biex, vide rule 25, before 1. It is the plural of 78 the nose, or hegt, from 77DX to heat.
-in construc אפי .39
.170 , אף , ,אפים
אפה , to נשם .26
Rule .ה for ת .the breath of . In construct נשמת .171
, or breathing frame לנפש .173
.to live חיה living
, from גן .176
breathe, is the root; hence pui breath, the soul.
172. 0"97 lives, viz. animal and rational. The plural of 'n life, frona 77'n to live.
, . ) , breathe. Vide num. 91.
. 175. yo'l and planted. i convers. you for you. Vide rule 94. Fut. 3d pers. masc. sing. Kal, of you to plant.
a . a . Lam. iii. 65.
177.17a in Eden. 3 in. j7 as a noun is Eden, pleasure, &c. As
7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
8 And the Lord God planted a garden castward in Eden, and there he put the man whom he had formed.
9 And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden, and from thence it was parted; and became into four heads.
is from מראה .formative מ .sight מראה .to ל.to the sight למראה .181
.to see ראה
verb it occurs once only, and that in Hithp. to delight, or please. Neh. ix. 25. Udyan in Sanscrit signifies, it is said, a garden.
178. orpo from or in the East. from. oop the east. Ooop the same. d'op eastward or the east wind. The root is op to go before, prevent, and to meet; and signifies also, as a noun, antiquity, eternity, ancient times, past; as a particle, before, aforetime, and of old.
It has been thus rendered; “ And the Lord God planted a garden in Eden beyond Kedem.”
179. DV" and he placed. I convers. Ov" is the third pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of ov to place. Vide rule 99. DV is also a particle, there. 180. 1993 desired. Part. Benoni Niphal of 7991 to desire.
. . . . . 182. nyin knowledge. emphat. nya is in construction before 310. The noun is nyo knowledge. The root is you to know. Vide rule 200. yo opinion. yio science, thought.
183. you and evil. hand. you evil; as a verb, to do evil, or to break. Run is unintentional error, ju iniquity designed and chosen, flowing from an evil heart, 170 or gya rebellion, provocation, yvo apostasy, or conspiracy. Vide num. 836.
184. 1731 and a river. 1 and. 1773 a river, plur. D'73 and nnn.. As a verb, to flow.
185. NY' went out, is itself the root. Hence Indy1d his going forth.
186. mpany for the watering. 5 for. n emphatic. mpv is the infinitive of Kal of mpu. Rule 103. Vide num. 166.
187. dyni and from thence. 1 and. from. and ov to place. Vide num.
11 יפרד 188 והיה 20 לארבעה 189 ראשים: 1 שם 190
האחד 34 פישון 191 הוא 192 הסבב 193 את 4 כל ארץ 7 12 החולה 194 אשר 40 שס 179 הזהב: 195 וזהב 195 הארץ ד
,ההוא 192טוב 26 שס 179 הבדלח 196 ואבן 197 השהס:198 13 ושם 190 הנהר 84! השני 45 גיחון 199 הוא 192 הסובב 193 14 את 4 כל 97 ארץ לכוש: 200 ושס 190 הנהר 184 השלישי 66
הדקל 201 הוא 192 ההלך 202 קדמת 203 אשור 204 15 והנהר 184 הרביעי 88 הוא 192 פרת: 205 ויקח 206 יהוה 154
אלהים 3 את 4 האדם 117 וינחהו 207 בגן 176 לעבדה 208
.in four לארבעה .189
, or hlace . Vide num שם from ,שמות
.the name , plur שם .190
שto gro פוש to sfhread , or פשה Pison
. It is perhaps from פישון ,191
to be . And הוה the same as הוא he
, she , it , or that . From הוא .192
.היה the same as היא so
is the participle סובב or סבב .emphat ה ,surrounding הסבר .193
. -signi חיל .7 .Havilah
. From the son of Cush , Gen. x החוילה ,194 .to abide יחל or strength from ,חל fies fiain from
gold ; also clear or bright . And זהב emphat
. and ה .gold הזהב .195
188. 1999 was parted. Fut. Niphal 3d pers. masc. sing. from 790 to
1 . . . . , . Vid. num. 88. 486.
. , . 179. mule 99.
. big. It has been supposed to be the Little Indus, Nilab, or Nila Ganga.
, , , . .
. . Ben. Kal of 3D to compass.
. pain , .
. . . yide Job xxxvii. 22.
. separate, , . , and not its malleability, the Talmudists may be right, who deem it a pearl. Vide Num. xi. 7. It is rendered by some crystal.
a . , * ; 147.
to sefiarate , and בדל emphat
. Perhaps from ה.Bdellium2 הבדלח .196 ,tin
. If the name is taken from its sparkling light בדיל smooth
, or לת
,being formative ; vide rule א ,to build בנה a stone
. From אבן .197
11 The name of the first is Pison; that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;
12 And the gold of that land is good, there is bdellium and the onyx stone.
13 And the name of the second river is Gihon; the same is it that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia.
14 And the name of the third river is Hiddekel; that is it which goeth toward the East of Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates.
15 And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden, to dress it, and to keep it.
198. Den the onyx, 77 emphat. DnV has been thought an onyx, emerald, sárdonyx, and lapis lazuli. Exod. xxv. 7.
199. yin'i Gihon. It has been thought, the Araxes, the western Oxus, and formerly the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates, &c.
200. Vid Cush. Gen. x. 6. Ethiopia, a name not confined to Africa, it means also a part of Arabia. But the north of India is perhaps here intended which is in Sanscrit the continent of Cush.
201. Spyn Hiddekel. Vide Daniel x. 4. The Tigris. Others think it was the Bahlac, or eastern branch of the Oxus.
202.750n going. 1 emphat. 777 part. Ben. Kal, from 77 to go. 203.
the east of, for 0797p, in construct. Vide rule 26. Vide num. 178.
204. 10x Assyria. Vide Gen. x. 11, 12. Seated by Asher, the son of Shem. The root is 0x to be happy.
205. 019 Peret, Phrat, 1998177 Euphrates, Fertility, from 1790 to produce. It is thought to be the Phrath, Ferah, or Hermund. 206. and took. i convers. mp for mps". 3d pers. masc. sing. fut.
to take. Vide rule 200.93. 207. 17703'1 and he placed him. I convers. 1 him. Rule 39. Onl' 3d pers. sing. masc. fut. Kal of one to sel, or place.
208. 1773 95 to cultivate it. 5 prefix. 7 it. Vide rule 39. gay infin. Kal, to serve. Postea 7ayn 2d pers. sing. fut. Kal.
209. Dve to keep it. I and. I to. 7 it. Rule 39. now infin. Kal to watch, or guard.
לקח Kal of