« ZurückWeiter »
16 ולשמרה: 209 ויצו 210 יהוה 154 אלהים" על 13 האדם 117
לאמר 19 מכל 97 עץ 58 הגן 176 א.ל 21 תאכל: 211 ומעץ 58 הדעת 182 טוב 26 ורע 183 לא 159 תאכל 211
ממנו 212 כי 25 ביום 30 אכלך 213 ממנו 212 מות 214 18 תמות: 214 ויאמר 19 יהוה 14 אלהים 3 לא 159 טוב 26
היות 215 האדם 117 לנדו 216 אעשה 917 לו 218 עזר 219 19 כנגדו: 220 וצר 167 יהוה 154 אלהים 3 מן 165 האדמה 115
כל 97 חית 114 השדה 156 ואת 4 כל 97 עוף 93 השמים 5 ויבא 221 אל דף האדם 117 לראות 222 מה 223 יקרא 29 לו 218 וכל 97 אשר 40 יקרא 29 לו 216 האדם 117 נפש 173
.the 3d pers , masC יצוה for יצו ,convers ו
.and commanded ויצו .210
.from itממנו ,212 .594
Rules 39 and 34. and vide num
526 and .ממן and ו .211 .is the part
.thy eating אכלן .219
, . . מות -does not always import tempo מות .853
.to die . Num מת or מות Kal of
) . 1 . 18° " sing. fut. Kal of 1718 to command. Vide rule 102.
. . . , . . .
. 1 , a . . .
thy . . is a pron. suffix; vide rule 36. 214. nm dying. Part. Ben. Kal. nion is the 2d pers. masc. sing. fut.
. . ral death. Vide 1 Sam. xxv. 37. Prov. xix. 18. and Prov. xii. 28. As life may mean either happiness, or animal, spiritual, or eternal life; so death has as many senses directly opposed to these. Its meaning in this place must be collected from the nature of the life, which it would destroy. Man was constituted holy, death implies sin; he was in a state of friendship with God, death implies enmity against him; he enjoyed every production of the earth which tended to his comfort, death implies that the earth should be embittered to him; he enjoyed peace, death implies that his state should be that of a war. fare; he enjoyed health, death implies that he should be subjected to diseases; in a word, as without sinning he was to be free from death, that is everlastingly happy, death implies everlasting misery,
16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat;
17. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil thou shalt not eat of it; for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
18 And the Lord God said, it is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
19 And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air, and brought them to Adam, to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
But the gift of a seed of the woman, who should restore the honour of a broken law, was, at the moment of denouncing this commination, as much on the divine mind as it was afterwards. He is therefore the end or scope of the law for righteousness; and justice can have no claim on those, to whom grace was promised and given in Him before the world began.
215. nin being. The infinitive of verbs in Lamed He change 17 into ni. Vide rules 103, 140. Of ni'n to be. Vide page 29 ante.
216. 1725 alone by himself. pron. suff. Vide rule 39. gab alone, a particle, from pref. and 12 alone.
217. nuYX I will make. It is the first pers. sing. fut. Kal of nwy to make. Vide num. 116.
218.95 for him. for. I him, pron. suffix. 3d pers. masc. Vide rule
219. Try aid or help. It is also the root, to help.
220.17200 as before him. 3 as. 723 before. As a verb, to show oneself. I him. Vide rule 39. 1913 before him. 17235 over against him. 17210 out of his sight. Joshua vi. 5. v. 13. Psal. x. 5.
221. XI) and he brought. I convers. X' is the 3d pers. sing. masc. fut. Hiphil of the verb x3 to come. The characteristic 'is omitted. Rule 81.
222, nikah so see. to. nis infin. Kal of 1787 to see. Vide rule 103. 142.
223. on who, which, what, hory, wherefore. It is used often after the prefixes. Hence in who.
20 חיה 174 הוא 192 שמו: 224 ויקרא 29 הארס 117 שמות 224
ולכל 7 חית 114 לכל 97 הבהמה 112 ולעוף 9.3 השמים ולכל
השדה 156 ולאדם 117 לא 159 מצא 225 עזר 219 כנגדו: 220 24 ויפל 226 יהוה 154 אלהים תרדמה 227 על 13 האדם 17
ויישן 228 ויקח 229 אחת 230 מצלעותיו 231 ויסגר 232 בשר 233 22 תחתנה: 234 ובן 235 יהוה 154 אלהים את 4 הצלע 231
אשר 40 לקח 229 מן 165 האדם 17ו לאשה 236 ויבאה 237 23 אל 47 האדס: 117 ויאמר 19 האדס 117 זאת 238 הפעם 239
עצם 240 מעצמי 241 ובשר 242מבשרי 242 לזאת238 קרא 243
224. iow the name of it. lit. Vid. Rule 39. bv. Vide num. 190. Hence
. .שם ,
.שמות .plur ,שמה . : . , מצא
,is the 3d pers ינפל for יפל .and catused to fall . 1 convers ויפל .226 ,. a נפל .
, -is the fem . partici נפלת .81
in the future . Vide rules 94 and נ it drops
225. Xyo he found. It is the third pers. masc. sing. pret. Kal, to find. .
. sing. fut. Hiphil, from the root 593 to fall. Being a verb in Pe Nun,
3 . ) ple Benoni. Gen. xv. 12. 227. 72790 a deep sleep. A fem. noun from 077 to shut up in sleepa
. תרדמה .12 .is formative
. Rule 189. Gen. xvת
.is the third pers
. sing . masc יישן
.and he slegit . convers ויישן .228
, , ישן .
,93 .200 Vide rule .ילקח for יקח .and he took . I convers ויקח .229
.to take לקח From .486 .one . Num אחד Masc . is ,אחרת one
. A femnoun for אחת .230 .to unite יחד formative .
From א י .
) . מ.מצלעתיו the צלעת .plur צלע .27 Vide rule .ת in construction to a fem
. . fut. Kal of qu' to sleep. Rule 86. Rather, And caused him to sleep, in Hiph. Vide num. 167. and rule 81.
. . . . . . . . .
. . 231. 1nyben of his ribs. S prefix. I suffix. Rule 39. 'is added because
a . . side. “ Flesh of my flesh” proves that more than a rib was taken. Vide Exod. xxv. 12. xxvi. 26, 7. Xxxvi. 31, &c.
. 1 . . . masc. . to ,
is the third pers sing יסגר ,and he closed uf
20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field: but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. 21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept; and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof.
22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my fesh; she shall be called woman, because she was taken out of man.
233. W flesh. As a root, to spread. “Thou hast clothed me with flesh.”
a Poman , from ,איש a female אשה .the אל for ל .manסשן a לאשה .236
234. 07hnin instead of it. nnn instead, from nm) to descend. Rule 189. And 17). Vide rule 39,
235. ya" and builded. I convers. 13? for 733', is the 3d pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of 1733 to build. Vide rule 102.
a . . a , a woman, *** and so from you to be. Vide num. 278.
237. XI' and caused her to come. i convers. 7 pron. suffix. Vide Rule 39. x' is the 3d pers. masc. sing. fut. Hiphil of the root X3 to come. Vide num. 221.
238. nx this. The same as with a 17, nni fem. from ni this. Num. 306.
239, pyon turn. 77 emphat. and oya turn, a noun. Or as an adverb, now. The other creatures were not fit to be associated with man, « This turn is bone" &c.
240. Dy a bone. As a root it signifies to be strong.
241. 'Dryo of my bone. Dis a prefix. 'final is my. Vide rule 34. The word oxy is perhaps for disgy. The d' is omitted in this manner, the o because it is in construction before ·, vide rules 24, 25, and the of the plural is dropped before, or coalesces with, 'the suffix. Rule
. . . my . 242. Vin of my flesh. > prefix from. 'my. Rule 34. Vo the integuments. As a root, to spread. Num. 233.
243. Np shall be called. It is the 3d pers, masc. sing. fut. Niph. of
,img bones עצמותי.Hence .עצמות ,plur עצמה ,in note
כן 24 אשה 236 כי 25 מאיש 236 לקחה 244 זאת: 238 על 13
יעזב 246 איש 236 את 4 אביו 247 ואת 4 אמו 249 ודבק 250 23 באשתו 251 ויהיו 252 * לבשר 242 אחר: 34 ויהיו 252
שניהם 253 ערומים 254 האדם 117 ואשתו 251 ולא 159 יתבששו: 255
**p to call
. nsi is fem. This is therefore an exception from the agreement of a verb with its nominative. Rule 127. Vide num. 67 in note. Or it is here in Kal. ,
was taken. Is the 3d pers. sing. fem. pret. Kal, in which it has sometimes the active and sometimes the passive sense. Rule 86. num. 229.
245. pa Sy therefore. (3 80, as a root to prepare. 13 xs in nowise. " pa sy because, since. Vide num. 44.
246. Jty shall leave. It is the 3d pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of any to forsake.
247.13% his father, I his. Vide rule 39. 3x is more rarely used than 'IK a father, which is its constant form in construction, and in the plural niax, vide rule 23, possibly to distinguish it from D'IN green fruits. From 70% to acquiesce. Vide num. 432, 669.
The Samaritan Pent. reads here on:wn, the Septuag. or dvo, the Vulgate," et erunt duo," &c. The Syriac and Arabic also agree. And vide Mat. xix. 5. Mark X. 8. 1 Cor. vi. 16. and Eph. V. 31. Thus is it a prohibition of polygamy.