Abbildungen der Seite

cordial and hearty, and mingled freely with the people. He was a man of strong intellect and quick apprehension, with a very retentive memory. Rarely gifted of speech, he had the faculty of gathering and grouping his facts with graphic power, presenting his argument in a loud, clear and ringing voice, carrying conviction to the hearer. Possessed of a fund of anecdote and a ready wit, he naturally drew men to him and was the centre of the circle wherever he might be.

In 1871 he was elected president judge of the 20th Judicial District of Pennsylvania, composed of the counties of Union, Snyder and Mifflin, and was re-elected in 1881. In his twenty years' service on the Bench Judge Bucher not only discharged the duties of his high office with promptness and fidelity in his own. district, but he frequently was called to preside specially in many of the other districts of the commonwealth, and he gained a statewide reputation for learning, ability and impartiality.

Directly after his retirement from the Bench in 1892 he resumed the practice of the law and became the local solicitor of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, the Northern Central Railway Company and other affiliated companies, with offices at Sunbury, Pennsylvania, and so continued until failing health compelled his withdrawal from active practice.

The estimation in which he was held by those who knew him best is fittingly set forth in the resolutions in his memory adopted by the Union County Bar Association, to wit:

"Resolved, That in the death of Judge Bucher we have met with an irreparable loss.

"That Judge Bucher was, at the Bar, a lawyer of vigorous intellect, well-trained in the science and art of his profession; a ready, able and formidable antagonist, possessing great tact, judgment and skill, and before a jury most persuasive and effective; on the Bench a just judge, compassionate and slow to punish; courteous in language and manner, and to the young lawyer kind and encouraging; at trial quick to grasp the point of a case; his rulings plain and fair; his charges to the jury models of simplicity, clearness and force; a good citizen, ever wakeful to the interests of his community, state and nation; in the family a

tender husband and indulgent parent; honest and stainless in his private life; socially, a most charming companion; a kind neighbor and loyal friend, whose gracious memory will abide with us during the passing years."


Hugh McCallister North, one of the oldest members of the American Bar Association, and of the profession of law in Pennsylvania, died at his home in Columbia, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, on December 20, 1907. His death followed a shock caused by the breaking of his leg from a fall on an icy sidewalk a few weeks before. Mr. North was born in Juniata County, Pennsylvania, May 27, 1826, and for fifty-eight years he practiced law at a Bar which has had many illustrious members, among them James Buchanan and Thaddeus Stevens. With no early advantages of fortune, he rose by industry, ability and integrity to the highest rank in his profession; he was for many years the leader of the local Bar, and was widely known as one of the foremost lawyers of the commonwealth. He practiced in the county, appellate and federal courts, and he excelled alike as an office and trial lawyer, as a sagacious business counsellor and a brilliant advocate. In politics he was a Democrat and a frequent delegate to national conventions. In the Episcopal denomination he was a prominent churchman.



George Lamb Buist died on May 31, 1907, in his sixty-ninth year. He was born in Charleston September 4, 1838, and lived there all his life. Possessing the thorough confidence of the public, he was trusted in all questions affecting the public welfare. For forty-seven years a member of the Charleston Bar, he was never without clients, and during this long period in the midst of all the changes which have come to the profession he lived up to its best traditions. His advice to his clients was sound, his ap

peals to the jury in his more active days were forcible and to the last he possessed the unbroken confidence of those who engaged his services.

As representative and senator from Charleston County in the Legislature he worked with untiring zeal for the good of his constituents and with never a thought of personal promotion or emolument. He did not seek any benefit for his people which he would not have cheerfully extended to the people in other parts of the State. While his disposition was entirely pacific he did not seek to escape any responsibility when the interests of his constituents required the exercise of the sterner qualities of statesmanship. He intentionally gave offence to none, and so it came to pass that none gave offence to him.

Major Buist was the representative for many years of a number of the most important business and financial institutions in Charleston. He had excellent judgment, great business acumen, and was engaged in the settlement of many grave questions affecting large interests. His associates placed the most implicit confidence in his good faith and lofty personal character.

With the educational concerns of Charleston Major Buist was closely allied for years, as trustee of the College of Charleston, as commissioner of the city public schools and for the last four months as chairman of the board.

In the church Major Buist had been deeply interested nearly all his life. He was for years chairman of the vestry of St. Paul's Church, Radcliffeboro.



Mack Allen Montgomery was born in Greenfield, Missouri, August 24, 1854; was reared in the State of Illinois, and was graduated from Lincoln (now James Millikin) University. He served six years as president of the Southern Illinois College. He afterwards moved to Oxford, Mississippi, took the law course at the University of Mississippi, and received the degree of

Bachelor of Laws. He then entered the practice of his profession, and was soon thereafter appointed United States district attorney for the Northern District of Mississippi. He was reappointed, and served continuously, with the exception of one term, till January, 1906, when he resigned to remove to Nashville, Tennessee, where he entered the law firm of Parks, Bell & Montgomery, and continued a member of that firm till his death, which occurred at Charleston, Illinois, October 18, 1908.

He married Miss Mackie Hardison, daughter of Mr. W. T. Hardison, of Nashville, Tennessee, on February 9, 1904, and she survives him.

He was a ripe scholar and a cultured gentleman. He was a ruling elder of the Presbyterian Church, and served as commissioner in many notable assemblies.



(Abridged from Memorial by Committee of the Milwaukee Bar Association.)

Charles Frederick Hunter, for many years a member of the Bar of Milwaukee County, died suddenly on July 9, 1908. Mr. Hunter was born in Milwaukee on February 6, 1862, where his father was a practicing lawyer and court commissioner for many years. He spent his boyhood in Milwaukee, receiving his education at the city schools and Markham's Academy, then one of the best known schools in Wisconsin. In 1878, when only sixteen years of age, he commenced the study of law in the office of Flanders & Bottum, remaining with that firm until 1881. In the fall of that year he accepted the position of private secretary to the late Judge Charles A. Hamilton, who had been in the spring of that year elected judge of the Second Judicial Circuit. Shortly after Judge Hamilton took his seat on the Bench, Mr. Hunter was appointed deputy clerk of the Circuit Court for Milwaukee County, which office he held until the fall of 1886, when he entered the office of Nathaniel Pereles & Sons. He was admitted

to the Bar in 1884 while holding the office of deputy clerk of the court. He remained in the office of Nathaniel Pereles & Sons until January 1, 1889, at which time he formed a partnership with Lewis M. Ogden, under the firm name of Ogden & Hunter, which firm continued with the addition to it of F. H. Bottum until May 1, 1894. While a member of this firm he served as assistant city attorney. After the dissolution of the firm of Ogden, Hunter & Bottum, Mr. Hunter became a member of the firm of Nathaniel Pereles & Sons, where he remained until May 1, 1904, after which he was a member of the successive firms of Hunter & Goff; Turner, Hunter, Pease & Turner; Turner, Hunter & Goff; and again Hunter & Goff.

Mr. Hunter was married on June 28, 1904, to Miss Cecelia B. Hunter, of Walworth County, Wisconsin, who survives him.

Mr. Hunter possessed a sound judgment and always approached the consideration of any question in an unbiased frame of mind. He was a man of keen intellect and varied information, with an accurate knowledge of legal principles, and his experience as deputy clerk of the Circuit Court gave him an accurate knowledge of the practice under the code, which was of great advantage to him in after life. His duties as assistant city attorney brought him a thorough knowledge of the law of municipal corporations.

In his practice he always enjoyed the confidence, not only of his clients, but of the courts and opposing counsel, who listened to his utterances with respectful and earnest attention, knowing that the positions taken by him were the result of wise and mature consideration, not lightly to be answered nor easily overthrown. His negotiations with opposing counsel were always characterized by frankness and fair dealing, and inspired his opponents with the conviction that he sought for his client no more than was just. He was a tireless worker who made the cause of his client his own cause. He was honest in his convictions, honest with the courts and honest with his adversary, and had that chivalrous disposition that scorned to take an unfair advantage of any one. He was a man of a modest and retiring disposition who never considered or accepted any place or position which he did not feel himself thoroughly competent to fill.

« ZurückWeiter »