« ZurückWeiter »
saith unto him, Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. Or else this. St. John xx. 19. HE same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus, and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord. Then saith Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the holy Ghost. Whosesoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose
soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
Or this. St. Matth. xxviii. 18. Jr. came and spake unto
them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them. In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost; teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.
Church and See of N. do profess and promise all due reverence and obedience to the Archbishop and to the Metropolitical Church of N. and to their Successors: So help me God, through Jesus Christ.
* This Oath shall not be made at the Consecration of an Archbishop.
* Then the Archbishop shall move the Congregation present to pray, saying thus to them:
RETHREN, it is written in the Gospel of Saint Luke, That our Saviour Christ continued the whole night in prayer, before he did choose and send forth his twelve Apostles. written also in the Acts of the Apostles, That the Disciples who were at Antioch did fast and pray, before they laid hands on Paul and Barnabas, and sent them forth. Let us therefore, following the example of our Saviour Christ, and his Apostles, first fall to prayer, before we admit, and send forth this person presented unto us, to the work
him, that he may duly execute the Office whereunto he is called, to the edifying of thy Church, and to the honour, praise and glory of thy Name; Answer. We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.
* Then shall be said this Prayer following. LMIGHTY God, giver of In all good things, who by thy Holy Spirit hast appointed divers Orders of Ministers in thy Church; Mercifully behold this thy servant now called to the Work and Ministry of a Bishop; and replenish him so with the truth of thy doctrine, and adorn him with innocency of life, that, both by word and deed, he may faithfully serve thee in this Of. fice, to the glory of thy Name, and the edifying and well-governing of thy Church; through the merits of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, world without end. Amen.
* Then the Archbishop, sitting in his chair, shall say to him that is to be Consecrated,
ROTHER, forasmuch as the holy Scripture and the ancient Canons command, that we should not be hasty in laying on hands, and admitting any person to Government in the Church of Christ, which he hath purchased with no less price than the effusion of his own blood ; be
* Then shall the Bishop elect put on the rest of the Episcopal habit; and kneeling down, Veni, Creator Spiritus, shall be sung or said over him, the Archbishop beginning, and the Bishops, with others that are present, answering by verses, as followeth.
CoMo. Holy Ghost, our souls in-
Keep far our foes, give peace at home: Where thou art guide, no ill can come. Teach us to know the Father, Son, And thee, of both, to be but One.
That, through the ages all along,
This may be our endless song;
- Or this. OME, Holy Ghost, eternal God, &c.
As before in the form for Ordering Priests.
* That ended, the Archbishop shall say,
Lord, hear our prayer.
Answer. And let our cry come unto thee. Let us pray.
LMIGHTY God, and most merciful Father, who of thine infinite goodness hast given thine only and dearly beloved Son Jesus Christ, to be our Redeemer, and the Author of everlasting life; who, after that he had made perfect our Redemption by his death, and was ascended into heaven, poured down his gifts abundantly upon men, making some Apostles, some Prophets, some Evangelists, some Pastors and Doctors, to the edifying and making perfect his Church ; Grant, we beseech thee, to this thy servant such grace, that he may evermore be read to spread abroad thy Gospel, the glad tidings of reconciliation with thee; and use the authority given him, not to destruction, but to salvation; not to hurt, but to help : so that as a wise and faithful servant, giving to thy family their portion in due season, he may at last be received into everlasting joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who, with thee and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth, one God, world without end. Amen.
* Then the Archbishop and Bishops present shall lay their hands upon the head of the elected Bishop kneeling before them upon his knees, the Archbishop saying,
ECEIVE the holy Ghost,
for the Office and Work of a Bishop in the Church of God, now committed unto thee by the Imposition of our hands; In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. And remember that thou stir up the grace of God which is given thee by this Imposition of our hands: for God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and soberness.
* Then the Archbishop shall deliver him the Bible, saying,
G'\}. heed unto reading, exhortation, and doctrine. Think upon the things contained in this Book. Be diligent in them, that the increase coming thereby may be manifest unto all men. Take heed unto thyself, and to doctrine, and be diligent in doing them: for by so doing thou shalt both save thyself and them that hear thee. Be to the flock of Christ a shepherd, not a wolf; feed them, devour them not. Hold up the weak, heal the sick, bind up the broken, bring again the out-casts, seek the lost. Be so merciful, that you be not too remiss; so minister discipline, that you forget not mercy: that when the chief Shepherd shall appear you may receive the neverfading crown of glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
* Then the Archbishop shall proceed in the Communion-Service; with whom the new Consecrated Bishop (with others) shall also communicate.
*| And for the last Collect, immediately beJore the Benediction, shall be said these Prayers.
OST merciful Father, we beseech thee to send down upon this thy servant thy heavenly blessing; and so endue him with thy holy Spirit, that he, preaching thy Word, may not only be earnest to reprove, be