« ZurückWeiter »
fore them, and drew near unto Jesus, to kiss him. Luke xxii. 47. The words of his mouth were softer than butter, having war in his heart ; his words were smoother than oil, and yet be they very swords. Ps. lv. 22.
12. The Lord your God dried up the waters of Jordan from before you, until ye were passed over, as the Lord your God did to the Red Sea, which he dried up from before us, until we were gone over. Josh. iv. 23.
He turned the sea into dry land : so that we went through the water on foot. Ps. Ixvi. 5. · 13. And Achan answered Joshua, and said, Indeed I have sinned against the Lord God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done: When I saw amongst the spoils a goodly Babvlonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them. Josh. vii. 20, 21.- .Walk honestly. 1 Thess. iv. 12.
14. And the men took of their victuals, and asked not counsel at the mouth of the Lord. Josh. ix. 14.
-Prore all things. Thess. v. 21.
15. Ye have seen all that The Lord your God hath done unto all these nations because of you : for The Lord your God is he that hath fought for you. Behold I have divided unto you by lot these nations that remain, to be an inheritance for your tribes. Josh. xxiii. 3, 4. He cast out the heathen also before them : caused their land to be divided among them for an heritage, and made the tribes of Israel to dwell in their tents. Ps. lxxviii. 56.
: 16. But my people would not hear my voice: and Israel would not obey me: so I gave them up to their own hearts' lusts: and let them follow their own imaginations. Ps. Ixxxi. 12, 13. For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie; That they all might be damned who believed not the truth. 2 Thess. ii. 11, 12.
17. What is he among the Gods, that shall be like unto the Lord ? Ps. Ixxxix. 7.- God is a Spirit. John iv. 24.
18. Thou turnest man to destruction ; again thou sayest, come again, ye children of men. Ps. xc. 3.
The hour is coming, in the which all that are in the grave shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life ; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John v. 28, 29.
19. Peace be unto thee ; fear not. Judg. vi. 23. - It is I, be not afraid. John vi. 20.
20. And Abimelech came unto the tower, and fought against it, and went hard unto the door of the tower to burn it with fire. And a certain woman cast a piece of a millstone upon Abimelech's head, and all-to brake his skull. Judg. ix. 52, 53.- As for sinners, they shall be consumed out of the earth, and the ungodly shall come to an end. Ps. civ. 35.
21. Go, and sin no more. John viii. 11.- Keep thyself pure. 1 Tim. v. 22.
22. And Manoah said unto his wife, we shall surely die, because we have seen God. But his wife said unto him, If the Lord were pleased to kill us, he would not have received a burnt-offering and a meat-offering at our hands. Judg. xiii. 22, 23.— God heareth not sinners : but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. John ix. 31.
23. The Lord hath been mindful of us, and he shall bless us. Ps. cxv. 12. I am the good Shepherd : the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. John x. 11.
24. He cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth. John xi. 43, 44.
-The right hand of the Lord bringeth mighty things to pass. Ps. cxviii. 16.
25. Annunciation of the Virgin Mary.-COLLECT
FOR THE DAY. We beseech Thee, O Lord, pour thy: grace into our hearts; that, as we have known the incarnation of thy Son Jesus Christ, by the message of an angel, so by his cross and passion we may be brought unto the glory of his resurrection ; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
26. Thou art my defence and shield. Ps. cxix. 114. The Lord stood with me, and strengthened me. 2 Tim. iv. 17.
27. In my Father's house are many mansions : if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am there ye may be also. John xiv, 2, 3.
- The Lord shall preserve thy going out, and thy coming in : from this time forth for evermore. Ps. cxxi. 8.
28. And Ruth said, entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge : thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God, Ruth i. 16.— Behold, how good and joyful a thing it is, brethren, to dwell together in unity! Ps. cxxxiii. 1.
29. Consider my complaint: for I am brought very low. Ps. cxlii. 7.— Ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. John xvi. 20.
30. That our sons may grow up as the young plants, Ps. cxliv. 12. Samuel ministered before the Lord, being a child. 1 Sam. ii. 18.
31. I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house : when I begin, I will also make an end. For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever, for the iniquity which he knoweth ; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not. I Sam. iii. 12, 13. — The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works. Ps. cxlv. 17.
APRIL. 1. Who is able to stand before this holy Lord God ? i Sam. vi. 20.- Such as be foolish shall not stand in Thy sight. Ps. v. 5.
2. The Lord's seat is in Heaven : His eyes consider the Poor: His eyelids try the children of men. Ps. xi. 4, 5. All things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. Heb. iv. 13.
3. Lord, Thou knowest all things, Thou knowest that I love thee. John xxi. 17.- Thou hast proved and visited mine heart in the night-season ; Thou hast tried me, and shalt find no wickedness in me. Ps. xvii. 3.
4. I will teach you the good and the right way; Only fear the Lord, and serve him in truth with all your heart; for consider how great things he hath done for you. I Sam. xii. 23, 24.- Our fathers hoped in Thee: they trusted in Thee, and Thou didst deliver them. Ps. xxii. 4.
5. Therefore said I, the Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the Lord : I forced myself, therefore, and offered a burnt offering. And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: Thou hast not kept the commandment of the Lord thy God. 1 Sam. xiii. 12, 13.- O tarry thou the Lord's leisure: be strong, and He shall comfort thine heart; and put thou thy trust in the Lord. Ps. xxvii. 16.
6. Man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. 1 Sam. xvi. 7.— He fashioneth all the hearts of them: and understandeth all their works. Ps. xxxiii. 14.
7. Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many. Heb. ix. 28.- There is none other name under heaven, given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts iv. 12.
8. Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is. Heb. x. 25.- And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach, and to preach Jesus Christ. Acts v. 42.
9. He that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Heb. xi. 6. This God is our God for ever and ever: he shall be our guide unto death. Ps. xlviii. 13.
10. The Lord therefore be judge, and judge between me and thee. 1 Sam. xxiv. 15. — Follow peace with all men. Heb. xii. 14.
11. Shall I then take my bread, and my water, and my flesh that I have killed for my shearers, and give it unto men whom I know not whence thy be? i Sam. xxv. 11. To do good, and to communicate, forget not; for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. Heb. xiii. 16.
12. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not. Jam. i. 5.— Thou that hearest the prayer; unto thee shall all flesh come. Ps. Ixv. 2.
13. The soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters; but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God. 1 Sam. xxx. 6.- Thou art my helper, and my redeemer: O Lord, make no long tarrying. Ps. lxx. 6.
14. Then said Saul unto his armour-bearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armour-bearer would not ; for he was sore afraid : therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it. 1 Sam. xxxi. 4. Oh, how suddenly do they consume ; perish, and come to a fearful end! Ps. lxxiii. 18.
15. From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that