« ZurückWeiter »
war in your members ? Jam. iv. 1.- Shall the sword devour for ever? knowest thou not that it will be bitterness in the latter end? how long shall it be then, ere thou bid the people return from following their brethren? 2 Sam. ii. 26.
16. The disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost. , Acts xiii. 52.- Lord God of Hosts; blessed is the man that putteth his trust in Thee. Ps. Ixxxiv. 13.
17. We must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God. Acts xiv. 22.- Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end; for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. i Pet. i. 13.
18. He shall defend thee under his wings, and thou shalt be safe under his feathers : his faithfulness and truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Ps. xci. 4.Ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the shepherd and bishop of your souls. 1 Pet. ii. 25.
19. But, and if ye suffer for righteousness sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled. Pet. iii. 14.— At midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God : and the prisoners heard them. Acts xvi. 25.
20. And David said unto Nathan. I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David. The Lord also hath put away thy sin. 2 Sam. xii. 13,The Lord is full of compassion and mercy; long-suffering, and of great goodness. He will not alway be chiding ; neither keepeth he his anger for ever. He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our wickednesses. Ps. ciii. 8, 9, 10.
21. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time. 1 Pet. v. 6. And the king said to Žadok, carry back the ark of God into the city: if I shall find favour in
the eyes of the Lord, he will bring me again, and shew me both it, and his habitation : But if he thus say, I have no delight in thee; behold, here I am, let him do to me as seemeth good unto him. 2 Sam. xv. 25, 26.
22. Though they curse, yet bless thou. Ps. cix. 27. - It may be that the Lord will look on mine affliction, and that the Lord will requite me good for his cursing this day. 2 Sam. xvi. 12.
23. Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons, serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befel me. Acts xx. 18, 19. The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptation. 2 Pet. ii. 9.
24. Be diligent; that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. 2 Pet. iii. 14.
With my whole heart have I sought thee : 0 let me not go wrong out of thy commandments. Ps. cxix. 10.
25. St. Mark – COLLECT FOR THE DAY. O Almighty God, who hast instructed thy holy church with the heavenly doctrine of thy Evangelist, Saint Mark ; give us grace, that, being not like children carried away with every blast of vain doctrine, we may be established in the truth of thy holy gospel, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
26. Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John ii. 15.—40 turn away mine eves, lest they behold vanity. Ps. cxix. 37.
27. Herein do l exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men. Acts xxiv. 16.-_ If our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. i John iii. 21,
28. Believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whe
ther they are of God : because many false prophets are gone out into the world. John iv. 1.- Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad. i Kings iii. 9.
29. This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. I John v. 3.- Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth Thee. Ps. cxliii. 10.
30. There stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, saying, Fear not Paul. Acts xxvii. 23, 24.— The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him: yea, all such as call upon him faithfully. Ps. cxlv. 18.
MAY. 1. St. Philip of St. James.-COLLECT FOR THE DAY. O Almighty God, whom truly to know is everlasting life; grant us perfectly to know thy Son, Jesus Christ, to be the way, the truth, and the life; that, following the steps of thy holy apostles, St. Philip and St. James, we may stedfastly walk in the way that leadeth to eternal life: through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
2. Will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain Thee; how much less this house that I have builded ! 1 Kings viii. 27.- The Lord is in his holy temple: the Lord's seat is in Heaven. His eyes consider the poor: and his eyelids try the children of men. Ps. xi. 4, 5.
3. They that run after another God; shall have great trouble. Ps. xvi. 4.- And the Lord was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the Lord God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice. And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other Gods. 1 Kings xi. 9, 10.
4. Go and search diligently for the young child ;
and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also. Matt. ii. 8.
- For they intended mischief against thee ; and imagined such a device as they are not able to perform. Ps. xxi. 11.
5. I am sent to thee with heavy tidings. 1 Kings xiv. 6.- The sorrows of my heart are enlarged: 0 bring thou me out of my troubles. Ps. xxv. 16.
6. Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth no sin. Ps. xxxii. 2.- We also joy in God, through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement. Rom. v. 11.
7. Hold thee still in the Lord, and abide patiently upon him. Ps. xxxvii. 7.— Blessed are the poor in spirit. Matt. v. 3.
8. Man walketh in a vain shadow, and disquieteth himself in vain ; he heapeth up riches, and cannot tell who shall gather them. Ps. xxxix. 7.- Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal. Matt. vi. 19.
9. There is yet one man, Micaiah, the son of Imlah, by whom we may inquire of the Lord : but I hate him ; for he doth not prophesy good concerning me, but evil. 1 Kings xxii. 8. The carnal mind is enmity against God. Rom. viii. 7.
10. Where is the Lord God of Elijah ? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither. 2 Kings ii. 14. Then Jesus arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea ; and there was a great calm. Matt. viii. 26.
11. When Elisha was come into the house, behold, the child was dead, and laid upon his bed. He went in therefore, and shut the door upon them twain, and prayed unto the Lord. 2 Kings iv. 32, 33.- And when Jesus came into the ruler's house, and saw the minstrels and the people making a noise ; He said unto them, Give place; for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn. But when the people were put forth, he went in, and took her by the hand, and the maid arose. Matt. ix. 23–.
12. And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? and he answered, Fear not; for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. 2 Kings vi. 15, 16, Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matt. X. 28.
13. Seek ye after God, and your soul shall live. Ps. Ixix. 33. — Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matt. xi. 28.
14. Is thine heart right ? 2 Kings x. 15.— A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things; and an evil man, out of the evil treasure, bringeth forth evil things. Matt. xii. 35.
15. They reckoned not with the men into whose hand they delivered the money to be bestowed, on workmen; for they dealt faithfully, 2 Kings xii. 15.
- Every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Rom. xiv. 12.
16. Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing. Rom. xv. 13.— My heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God. Ps. Ixxxiv. 2.
17. Judah kept not the commandments of the Lord their God, but walked in the statutes of Israel which they made. 2 Kings xvii. 19. In vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Matt. xv. 9.
18. He shall call upon me, and I will hear him; yea, I am with him in trouble ; I will deliver him, and