« ZurückWeiter »
bring him to honour. Ps. xci. 15.— Isaiah, the son of Amos, sent to Hezekiah, saying, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, That which thou hast prayed to me against Sennacherib, king of Assyria, I have heard. 2 Kings xix. 20.
19. Thus saith the Lord, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears, behold I will heal thee. 2 Kings xx. 5.— The Lord is gracious, his mercy is everlasting. Ps. c. 4.
20. Woe unto the world because of offences ! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! Matt. xviii. 7.- For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men ? 1 Cor. iii. 3.
21. All these things have I kept from my youth up. Matt. xix. 20.- Blessed are They that alway keep judgment; and do righteousness. Ps. cvi. 3.
22. Then rose up the chief of the fathers of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests, and the Levites, with all them whose spirit God had raised ; to go up to build the house of the Lord, which is in Jerusalem. Ezra i. 5.- Let them give thanks whom the Lord hath redeemed : and delivered from the hand of the enemy; and gathered them out of the lands, from the east, and from the west: from the north, and from the south. Ps. cvii. 2, 3.
23. Blessed be the Name of the Lord : from this time forth for evermore. Ps. cxiii. 2.- Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord ; Hosanna in the highest! Matt. xxi. 9.
24. Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the Lord, and to do it. Ezra vii. 10.- Blessed are they that keep his testimonies: and seek him with their whole heart. Ps. cxix. 2.
25. Remember, I beseech Thee, the word that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, saying, If ye trans
gress, I will scatter you abroad among the nations : But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, aud do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence; and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there. Neh, i. 8, 9.- O think upon thy servant, as concerning Thy word ; wherein thou hast caused me to put my trust. Ps. cxix. 49.
26. Many there are that trouble me, and persecute me: yet do I not swerve from thy testimonies. Ps. cxix. 157.- When Sanballat, the Horonite, and Tobiah the servant, the Ammonite, and Geshem, the Arabian, heard it, they laughed us to scorn, and despised us, and said, what is this thing that ye do? will ye rebel against the king? then answered I them, and said unto them, The God of heaven, he will prosper us; therefore we, his servants, will arise and build. Neh. ii. 19. 20.
27. So the wall was finished in the twenty and fifth day of the month Elul, in fifty and two days. And it came to pass, that when all our enemies heard thereof, and all the heathen that were about us saw these things, they were much cast down in their own eyes : for they perceived that this work was wrought of our God. Neh. vi. 15, 16.— Then said they among the heathen : the Lord hath done great things for them. Ps. cxxvi. 3.
28. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; for this is my blood of the New Testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Matt. xxvi. 27, 28.Let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. I Cor. xi. 28.
29. They speak unrighteously against thee: and thine enemies take thy name in vain. Ps. cxxxix. 20.
They that passed by reviled him, wagging their
heads, and saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. Matt. xxvii. 39, 40.
30. Esther did the commandment of Mordecai like as when she was brought up with him. Esther ii. 20.
- Charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up. i Cor. xiii. 4.
31. Great is the Lord, and marvellous. Ps. cxlv. 3. They were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, what thing is this? what uew doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him. Mark i. 27.
JUNE. 1. Evil communications corrupt good manners. I Cor. xv. 33.- Away from me, all ye that work vanity. Ps. vi. 8.
2. They hanged Haman on the gallows he had prepared for Mordecai. Esther vii. 10.— The ungodly is trapped in the work of his own hands. Ps. ix. 16.
3. Ye also helping together by prayer for us. 2 Cor. i. 11.- And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all : for Job said, it may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Job i. 5. .
4. The thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. Job iii. 25. Be not afraid, only believe. Mark v. 36.
5. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything as of ourselves ; but our sufficiency is of God. 2 Cor. iii. 5.- The Lord is my strength. Ps. xxviii. 9.
6. I have hated them that hold of superstitious vanities. Ps. xxxi. 7.- Many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brazen vessels, and of tables. Mark vii. 4.
7. We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 2 Cor. v. 10.- Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me, and of my words, in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him also shall the son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father, with the holy angels. Mark viii. 38...
8. Let me alone, that I may take comfort a little, before I go whence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death. Job x. 20, 21.
O spare me a little, that I may recover my strength : before I go hence, and be no more seen. Ps. xxxix. 15,
9. Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him. Job xiii. 15.— Our heart is not turned back: neither our steps gone out of thy way; no, not when thou hast smitten us into the place of dragons: and covered us with the shadow of death. Ps. xliv. 19, 20,
10. They answered and said unto Jesus, we cannot tell : and Jesus answering, saith unto them, neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things. Mark xi. 33. Thy mouth uttereth thine iniquity, and thou choosest the tongue of the crafty. Thine own mouth condemneth thee. Job xv. 5, 6. .
11. St. Barnabas.-COLLECT FOR THE DAY. O Lord God Almighty, who didst endue thy holy apostle Barnabas with singular gifts of the holy Ghost; Leave us not, we beseech Thee, destitute of thy manifold gifts, nor yet of grace to use them alway to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
12. Where is now my hope? Job xvii. 15.- My soul, wait thou still upon God; for my hope is in him. Ps. lxii. 5.
13. For thy sake have I suffered reproof: shame hath covered my face. Ps. lxix. 7. Ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake. Mark xiii. 13.
14. Wherefore do the wicked live; become old, yea are mighty in power ? Job xxi. 7.- Even like us a dream when one awaketh : so shalt thou make their image to vanish out of the city. Ps. Ixxiii. 19.
15. Will he plead against me with his great power? no; but he would put strength in me. Job xxiii. 6.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee. 2 Cor. xiii. 9.
16. He that believeth, and is baptised, shall be saved; but he that believeth not, shall be damned. Mark xvi. 16.— Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith. 2 Cor. xiii. 5.
17. I know that thou wilt bring me to death. Job xxx. 23.- What man is he that liveth and shall not see death. Ps. lxxxix. 47.
18. There is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding. Job xxxii. 8.— He that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me towards the Gentiles. Gal. ii 8.
19. He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him. Job xxxiii. 26. Thou heardest them, O Lord our God! thou forgavest them, O God. Ps. xcix. 8.
20. And Simon's wife's mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought him for her. And he stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her: and immediately she arose, and ministered unto them. Luke iv. 38, 39. Praise the Lord, O my soul : and forget not all his benefits; who forgiveth all thy sin :