« ZurückWeiter »
and healeth all thine infirmities; who saveth thy life from destruction. Ps. ciji. 2, 3, 4
21. Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: he is excellent in power, and in judgment. Job xxxvii. 23.— Remember the marvellous works that he hath done; his wonders and the judgments of his mouth. Ps. cv. 5.
22. If a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. Gal. vi. 3.– Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer Thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. Job xl. 4.
23. Lord, trouble not thyself; for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof. Luke vii. 6.
-I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. Job xlii. 6.
24. St. John the Baptist.—COLLECT FOR THE DAY. Almighty God, by whose providence thy servant John Baptist was wonderfully born, and sent to prepare the way of thy Son our Saviour, by preaching of repentance; make us so to follow his doctrine and holy life, that we may truly repent according to his preaching ; and after his example constantly speak the truth, boldly rebuke vice, and patiently suffer for the truth's sake, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
25. Before I was troubled, I went wrong; but now have I kept thy word. Ps. cxix. 67.— The prosperity of fools shall destroy them. Prov. i. 32.
26. Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. Luke ix. 55.- Keep thy heart with all diligence. Prov. iv. 23.
27. My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding. Prov. v. 1.— A certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and beard bis word. Luke x. 38, 39.
28. Say unto wisdom, thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman : that they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words. Prov. vii. 4, 5. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covelous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words; for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Ephes. v. 5, 6.
29. St. Peter.-COLLECT FOR THE DAY. O Almighty God, who by thy son Jesus Christ didst give to thy apostle St. Peter many excellent gifts, and commandedst him earnestly to feed thy Alock; make, we beseech Thee, all Bishops and Pastors diligently to preach thy holy word, and the people obediently to follow the same, that they may receive the crown of everlasting glory, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
30. God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee, then whose shall those things be which thou hast provided ? Luke xii. 20. - When the breath of man goeth forth he shall turn again to his earth, and then all his thoughts perish. Ps. cxlvi. 3.
JULY. 1. He that diligently seeketh good procureth favour. Prov. xi. 27.— Strive to enter in at the strait gate ; for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. Luke xiii. 24.
2. He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker: but he that honoureth Him hath mercy on the poor. Prov. xiv. 31. When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours ; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompense be made thee. But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind : and thou shalt be blessed. Luke xiv. 12, 13, 14.
3. The younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living. Luke xv. 13. A fool despiseth his father's instruction. Prov. xv. 5.
4. There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day. Luke xvi. 20.-_ Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife. Prov. xvii. 1.
5. Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin ? Prov. xx. 9. So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, we are unprofitable servants : we have done that which was our duty to do. Luke xvii. 10.
6. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself: God, I thank Thee that I am not as other men are. Luke xviii. 11.- An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked is sin. Prov. xxi. 4.
7. Take from him the pound, and give it unto him that hath ten pounds. Luke xix. 24.— There shall be no reward to the evil man ; the candle of the wicked shall be put out. Prov. xxiv. 20.
8. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. Prov. xxvi. 4, 5.— Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Col. iv. 6. 9. The righteous are bold as a lion. Prov. xxviii. 1.
When ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified. Luke xxi. 9.
10. And Peter said, man, I know not what thou sayest. Luke xxii. 60. The fear of man bringeth a snare. Prov. xxix. 25.
11. And Pilate gave sentence that it should be as they required. Luke xxiii. 24. Do ye judge the thing that is right, O) ye sons of men ? Ps. lviii. 1.
12. Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; handle me, and see. Luke xxiv. 39. If we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 1 Thess. iv, 14.
13. Be not rash with thy mouth. Eccles. v. 1. - Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? John. i. 46.
14. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? John ii. 4.- It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools. Eccles. vii. 5.
15. Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might. Eccles. ix. 10.- Stablish you in every good word and work. 2 Thess. ii. 17.
16. Cast thy bread upon the waters : for thou shalt find it after many days. Eccles. xi. 1.- Be not weary in well-doing. 2 Thess. iii. 13.
17. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee. John v. 14. Know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the Lord thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord. Jer. ii. 19.
18. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. John vi. 66.
- Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the Lord. Jer. iii. 12.
19. I have set thee for a tower and a fortress among my people, that thou mayest know and try their way. Jer. vi. 27.- Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee. I Tim. iv. 16.
20. Them that sin, rebuke before all, that others also may fear. 1 Tim. v. 20.- Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination ? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush. Jer. viii. 12.
21. Thus saith the Lord, learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. Jer. x. 2.O, Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called. I Tim. vi. 20.
22. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep. John x. 4. Thou, O Lord, knowest me. Jer. xii. 3.
23. Then the Lord said unto me; The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them : they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart. Jer. xiv. 14.- Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim. ii. 15.
24. My delight shall be in thy statutes : and I will not forget Thy word. Ps. cxix. 16.— Thy words were found and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart. Jer. xv. 16.
25. St. James the Apostle.-COLLECT FOR THE DAY. Grant, O merciful God, that as thine holy apostle Saint James, leaving his father and all that he had, without delay was obedient unto the calling of thy Son Jesus Christ and followed him; so we, forsaking all worldly and carnal affections, may be evermore ready to follow thy holy commandments; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
26. Then said they, come, and let us devise devices against Jeremiah. Jer. xviii. 18.— The ungodly have laid a snare for me. Ps. cxix. 110.
27. Sing unto the Lord, praise ye the Lord ; for he hath delivered the soul of the poor from the hand of