« ZurückWeiter »
25- If our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. 1 John iii. 20.
27. As for such as turn back unto their own wickedness: the Lord shall lead them forth with the evil doers. Ps. cxxv. 5.- Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer. Hos. iv. 16.
28. Agrippa said unto Paul, almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. Acts xxvi. 28. Your goodness is as a morning cloud, and as the early dew it goeth away. Hos. vi. 4.
29. Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 2 Jobn 8.- Israel hath cast off the thing that is good. Hos, viii. 3.
30. Some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not. Acts xxviii. 24.- Beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the Apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; how that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the spirit. But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. Jude 17-21.
31. O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help. Hos. xiii. 9. Thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Matt, i. 21.
SEPTEMBER. 1. Alas for the day! for the day of the Lord is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come. Joel i. 15.— The ungodly shall not be able to stand in the judgment. Ps. i. 6.
2. Therefore also now, saith the Lord, turn ye even
to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning. Joel ii. 12. Repent ye, for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand. Matt. iii. 2.
3. The Lord my God shall make my darkness to be light. Ps. xviii. 28.- The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region of the shadow of death light is sprung up. Matt. iv. 16.
4. Prepare to meet thy God. Amos iv 12. Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God. Matt. v. 8.
5. I hate, I despise your feast-days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer me burnt-offerings and your meat-offerings, I will not accept them: neither will [ regard the peace-offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. But let judgment run down as water, and righteousness as a mighty stream. Amos v. 21-24. When thou prayest thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are. Matt. vi. 5.
6. Then answered Amos and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son ; but I was an herdsman, and a gatherer of sycamore fruit; and the Lord took me as I followed the flock, and the Lord said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel. Amos. vii. 14. 15. He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. Matt. vii. 29.
7. If God be for us, who can be against us? Rom. viii. 31.- Upon Mount Zion shall be deliverance. Obad. 17.
8. And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time, saying, Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city,and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. Jon. iii. 1, 2.- Pray ye therefore the Lord of the
harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest. Matt. ix. 38.
9. And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd ? Jon. iv. 9.- Be still then, and know that I am God. Ps. xlvi. 10.
10. Arise ye, and depart; for this is not your rest. Mic. ii. 10.- Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matt. xi. 28.
11. They shall beat their swords into plough-shares, and their spears into pruning-hooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. Mic. iv. 3.- Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves. Rom. xii. 19.
12. He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God ? Mic. vi. 8. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ. Rom. xiii. 13, 14.
13. Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? Matt. xiv. 31.— The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him. Nahum. i. 7.
14, Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity. Hab. i. 13.- In vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Matt. xv. 9.
15. O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread ? Matt. xvi. 8. Although the fig-tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls : yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Hab. iii. 17, 18.
16. Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the Lord's wrath. Zeph. i. 18.— Ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble are called i Cor. i. 26.
17. The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy. Zeph. iii. 17.- The son of man is come to save that which was lost. Matt. xviii. 11.
18. Be strong, all ye people of the land, saith the Lord, and work : for I am with you, saith the Lord of hosts. Hag. ii. 4.- For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 1 Cor. iii. 19.
19. Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts. Zech. iv. 6.- We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised. I Cor. iv. 10.
20. He will miserably destroy those wicked men. Matt. xxi. 41.— Therefore it is come to pass, that as he cried, and they would not hear; so they cried, and I would not hear, saith the Lord of hosts : But I scattered them with a whirlwind among all the nations whom they knew not. Zech. vii. 13. 14.
21. St. Matthew.-COLLECT FOR THE DAY. O Almighty God, who by thy blessed Son didst call Matthew from the receipt of custom, to be an apostle and evangelist ; grant us grace to forsake all covetous desires, and inordinate love of riches, and to follow the same thy Son Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, world without end. Amen.
22, Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. I Cor. vii. 19,— These are the things that ye shall do; speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates ; and let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour; and love no false oath. Zech. viii. 16. 17.
23. Open thy doors, O Lebanon, that the fire may devour thy cedars. Howl, fir-tree; for the cedar is fallen; because the mighty are spoiled : howl, o ye oaks of Bashan; for the forest of the vintage is come down. Zech. xi. 1, 2.- Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, there shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. Matt. xxiv. 2.
24. Thy words have I hid within my heart, that I should not sin against thee. Ps. cxix, 11.— I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection. 1 Cor. ix. 27.
25. Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation. Matt, xxvi. 41.— God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able ; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. i Cor. X. 13.
26 Then answered all the people and said, His blood be on us, and on our children. Matt. xxvii. 25. - Ye are cursed with a curse. Mal. iii. 9.
27. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Matt. xxviii. 19. By one Spirit are we all baptized into one body. I Cor. xii. 13.
28. Behold, how good and joyful a thing it is, brethren, to dwell together in unity! Ps. cxxxiii. 1.Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil. 1 Cor. xiii. 4, 5.