Abbildungen der Seite

saries residing among them, as the sequel will soon prove, when we come to it.

However, a peace, such as it was, was soon patched up, when the agent on our part had sufficient reason to suspend the affair, from a flagrant instance of the falsehood of these Indians, in the very time of this transaction, who had, in the beginning of this overture, promised to bring, and deliver up all the English captives then in their hands; but brought none of them, but with some idle excuses colloquy'd our agents into a compliance and ratification of a peace, though very short-lived.

And, by the way, I think it may be remarked with lamentation, that the English ministry, plenipotentiaries at home in our nation, and agents in this and the foreign plantations, have given amazing proofs, that they have not only disserved, but manifestly betrayed the English interests into the hands of the French ; which may put the Parliament upon proper caution for the future, to interest such only in these important concernments to the nation, who have sufficiently approved themselves faithful to their king and country, and approved patriots, of the true faith and Protestant cause. And, if I may be allowed to speak my mind freely, in which I am not alone, with regard to the Indians in the French interest, as some thousands of pounds have been expended fruitlessly, to gain and secure their friendship, therefore instead of those wonted bounties and gratuities, to follow the direction and charge laid on the children of Israel concerning the Amelakites, not to come into any terms of peace, but maintain a war with them from generation to generation ; which doubtless would conduce to the safety and comfort of the English, more than all the gifts that may be multiplied.

This peace was come into, August 11th, 1693, when Sir William Phipps was governor of the Province. But as the design of it was only in show and pretence, I shall not trouble my reader with the articles then subscribed unto by the Indians. There were hostages delivered up to the English for security ; but whether by the clemency or groundless credulity of the Province, or by the escape of the hostages, which is now uncertain, it gave the Indians an opportunity too soon to violate their pretended solemn engagements, as we shall quickly find. The names of the hostages were Ahassombamett, brother to Edgeremett,

Wenongahewitt, cousin to Madokawando, and Edgeremett, and Bagatawawongon, also Sheepscott John ; these were delivered as pledges of their fidelity. All I shall farther take notice of with relation to this peace, will be the names of those sachems or sagamores, who signed to the several articles of this treaty, that the memory of these monsters of cruelty may not be forgotten in the annals of New-England. Their names were, Edgeremett, Madokawando, Wassambomet, of Navidgwock, Wenobson, of Teconet, in behalf of Moxus, Ketterramogis of Norridgewock, Ahanquit of Penobscot, Bomaseen, Nitamemet, Webenes, Awansomeck, Robin Doney, Madaumbis, and Paquaharet.

That this peace was concerted, and pursued upon false and treacherous designs on the part of the French and Indians, is evident, for they, in the beginning of this overture, promised to resign up the English prisoners they then had under their command, as before is shown, but soon after, if not before, they concerted measures to make a descent on some of the most defenceless settlements in the out-parts of the Province, which was openly talked of in the streets of Quebec in May following, as some of the English captives there after related ; and before the year expired was put in execution, contrary to their plausible, though but only pretended solemn engagements, without any just provocation given, that we know of. Upon which purpose the French priests gave the sacrament, to bind them the more strongly to the speedy performance. Accordingly on the eighteenth of July, 1694, a great number of the French and Indians, about the break of day, fell furiously on a place then called Oyster river, and killed and captivated 94 persons. About a score of them belonged to the trained band in the town. Upon a moderate computation we may safely conclude, that the greatest part by far of this number were either slain upon the spot or after in their captivity, as the method of these heathens, and their abettors, is to kill those of their victims that were not able to travel, women and children, and others, either in their fury or frolics. I shall therefore upon this presumption, venture to set down 70 of this people slain in this expedition of the enemy at Oyster river, which if any can disprove, I shall not be offended, but gratified. Some of the poor people in town betook themselves to flight, and escaped this terrible shock

[ocr errors]

and bloody massacre ; but none with more courage and bravery than one Thomas Bickford, whose house was but slightly palisadoed, by the river side, having no man in it but himself. He with dexterity immediately sent his wife, mother, and children down the river in a canoe, and labored to defend himself in his house, which was assaulted by the enemy. But he artfully, by shifting his clothes, and sometimes with a hat, and then a cap, deceived them. Supposing there were many in the house, they finally withdrew and left him, when many others, better qualified for defence, under fair but false promises, no sooner surrendered but were barbarously butchered to death ; and the wife of one Adams, being with child, was in a cruel and inhuman manner ripped up. Mrs. Ursula Cutt, widow of Mr. John Cutt, who was formerly president of New Hampshire, was killed, and three more on the south side of Piscataqua river, but about a mile distant from the town.

July 27th, the French and Indians fell upon Groton and killed twenty people, and carried a dozen captive. Mr. Gershom Hobart, the minister there, narrowly escaped their fury, with the most of his family. They took. two of his children; one they killed, and the other afterward was rescued out of his captivity.

On August 20, three killed at Spruce Creek, and another at York, and a lad with him taken captive. August 24, eight killed or taken at Kittery. Here a little girl, about seven years old, was taken by them, and knocked on the head and scalped. She lay on the ground as dead, all the night, but revived in the morning, and lived many years, but could not bear her broken skull closed. She was the daughter of one Mr. Downing. He had another ter that after fell into their hands, and she at this time narrowly escaped.

Mr. Joseph Pike, of Newbury, a sheriff, with one Long, were both slain as they were travelling from Amesbury to Haverhill, September 4.

On November 19, Bomaseen, that had been remarkable for his cruelties, with two other Indians, came to Pemmaquid under a pretence of condolence for the mischiefs that had been done, (who was a principal actor in them, as was well known by all that had an acquaintance with his conduct

towards poor captives). He was there seized and sent to Boston, and put in prison with his companions.

The Indians, in passing through Casco, now deserted, wanting provisions for their necessary support, found some horses in captain Bracket's orchard. The squaws, now near famished, desired some of them might be killed to satisfy their hunger. The Indians drove them into a pond, and catched one of them. A young fellow among them desired to be set on horseback to ride, and that he might not fall off, proposed that his feet might be tied fast under the horse's belly, which was accordingly done. The mettlesome steed set out upon a run, and they saw him no more, nor could they find but one leg of the rider, which, according to their heathenish, hideous manner of lamentation, they mourned over, and buried it in Captain Bracket's cellar. He was the son of one Hegon, famous among the French and Indians. To return.

Some time passed without any remarkable acts of hostilities, excepting the taking of two soldiers, which unhappily fell into their hands, belonging to Saco garrison. One they killed, and the other they carried off,

Some time after this, in March, 1695, a great mortality prevailed among the Indians, which carried off many of them. At length, through the mediation of old Sheepscott John, (once under the character of a praying Indian, and one of the excellent Mr. Eliot's catechumens, now turned

and popish apostate), a great fleet of canoes came to an island about a league from the fort at Pemmaquid,—before some things above mentioned, -viz. May 20, 1693. Tarrying there on the Lord's day, on Monday morning they sent to the English for another treaty, and declared their design was to exchange prisoners, and renew the peace they had so lately broken. They immediately delivered up eight captives, and a truce or cessation of arms was agreed on for thirty days. Colonel John Phillips, Lieutenant-Colonel Hawthorn, and Major Convers were appointed commissioners to transact in this affair ; who met accordingly, to treat with the Indians at Pemmaquid. The commissioners, for very good reason, refused to enter upon any new propositions of peace, until the English prisoners were delivered up, according to former agreement. The Indians, discontented that their beloved Bomaseen was left behind at Boston, broke off the conference, and thus the treaty at this time ended; and although orders were sent to the people in the eastern parts to stand upon a strict guard, yet, June 6, one Major Hammond, of Kittery, fell into the Indians' hands, and was carried to Canada, and redeemed by Count Frontenac, the governor, by whom he was civilly treated, and after some time he returned to New-England, with about 30 English prisoners.


In August the house of one Rogers, in Billerica, was plundered, where fifteen persons were killed or taken. We may reasonably conclude that nine at least of the number were killed. The Indians appearing on horseback, were not suspected till they surprized the house they came to. About this time Sergeant Haley, venturing too far out of the fort at Saco, was slain. On September 9th, Sergeant March and three others were killed by the Indians.

October 7, the Indians entered the house of one John Brown, at Newbury, carrying away nine persons with them. But Captain Greenleaf, having intelligence thereof, speedily pursued them, and unhappily stumbling on them in the night, received a grievous wound from them, and they escaped over the river. The Captain, notwithstanding his wound, recovered all the captives ; but the Indians struck them with such violence on their heads at parting, that they broke their skulls, all but one lad among them; missing his head, they struck him on his shoulder ; all the rest lingered and died, about or within a year after, some sooner, others later, their brains working out of their wounds, which when means were used to close up, it threw them into distraction.

About this time Captain March, petitioning to be dismissed from his command of the fort at Pemmaquid, one Captain Chub succeeded him. This Chub, on the sixteenth of February, in 1695, and in time of a truce, when some of the Indians came to the fort peaceably and under the appearances of friendship, took his opportunity with his men, and killed four of them, I cannot say in cool blood, as the phrase is commonly used. The Indians then killed were Edgeremett, and Abenquid, two principal famous sagamores among the Indians, and two men. If I mistake not, this tragedy was acted on the Lord's day.

May 7, 1695, one John Church, of Quochecho, that had

« ZurückWeiter »