« ZurückWeiter »
First. The upper springs, or blessings spiritual :
as 1. Adoption, access, audience, peace, perse
To you pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, the covenants, and the service of God, and the promises. To you will I give the white stone and the new name, access into my presence, the acceptation of your persons, the audience of your prayers.e
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you. I will undertake for your perseverance, and keep you (if you are faithful) to the end; and then will crown mine own gift with eternal life. I have made you heirs of God, and co-heirs with your Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall inherit all things.be
2. The protection of his angels. I have granted you mine angels for your guardians. The courtiers of heaven shall attend upon you; thev shall all be ministering spirits for your good. Behold, I have given them charge over you, upon their fidelity to look after you; and, as the tender nurses, to bear you in their arms, and to keep you from coming to any hurt!
a Rom. ix. 4. b Rev. ii. 17. c Eph. iii. 12. d Eph. i. 6. e 1 John v. 14, 15. James v. 14, 15, 16. f John xiv.
g Jer. xxxii. 40. John x. 28. Phil. i. 6. h Rom. viii. 17. Rev. xxi.7. i Heb. i. 14, k Psalm xci. 11, 12
These shall be as the careful shepherd, to watch over my flock by night, and to encamp round about my fold.
3. The inspection of his ministers. My ministers I give for your guides. Paul, Apollos, Cephas, -all are yours. I am always with them, and they shall be always with you, to the end of the world. You shall have pastors after mine own heart;e and this shall be my covenant with you, that my Spirit, which is upon you, and my words, which I have put into your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, nor the mouth of your seed, nor of your seed's seed, saith the Lord, from henceforth and for ever,
4. The rod of his discipline.
In short, all my officers shall be for the profiting and perfecting of you:& all mine ordinances shall be for the edifying and saving of you. The very severities of my house, admonitions, censures, &c. and the whole discipline of my family, shall be for the preventing of your infection, the curing of corruption, the procuring of your salvation."
a Psalm xxxiv, 7. b Eph. iv. 11. c1 Cor. ii. 22. d Matt. xxviii. 20. Eph. iv. 13. e Jer. iij. 15. xxiii. 4. f Isa. lix. 21. g Eph. iv. 12. h 2 Cor. xii. 19. Rom. i. 16, i 1 Cor. y. 5, 6, 7. Matt. xviii. 15. James v. 20,
My word have I ordained for converting your souls, enlightening your eyes, rejoicing your hearts, cautioning you of dangers, cleansing your defilements, and conforming you to mine image.a To you I commit the oracles of God:b here you shall be furnished against temptations ;c hence you shall be comforted under distresses and afAictions ;d here you shall find my whole counsel.e This shall instruct you in your way, correct you in your wanderings, direct you into the truths to be believed, detect to you the errors to be rejected.
5. The pledges of his sacraments. My sacraments I give you as the pledges of my love. You shall freely claim them; they are children's bread. Lo, I have given them as seals, to certify all that I have here promised you;' and when these sacred signs are delivered unto you, then know and remember, and consider in your hearts, that I therein plight you my truth, and set to my hand, and do thereby ratify and confirm every article of these indentures, and do actually deliver into your own hands this glorious charter, with all its immunities and privileges, as your own for ever.ba
a Psalm xix. 7, 8, 9, 11. Eph. v. 26. 2 Cor. iii. 18. b Rom. iji. 2. c Matt. iv. 4. Eph. vi. 11, 17. d Psalm cxix. 92, 93. e Acts xx. 27. f? Tim. iii. 16. Psalm cxix. 105. & Rom. iv. 11. h1 Cor. xi. 25. Gen. xvii, 10.
Secondly. The nether springs, or mercies tempo
ral : 1. The supply of his creatures. And having sowed to you so largely in spiritual blessings, shall you not much more reap the temporal? Be you not of doubtful mind;-all these things shall be added unto you. My creatures I grant for your servants and supplies.b Heaven and earth shall minister to you: all the stars in their courses shall serve you, and (if need be) shall fight for you. And I will make my covenant for you with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; and you shall be in league with the stones of the field, and all shall be at peace with you.d I will undertake for all your necessities. Do I feed the fowls, and clothe the grass; and do you think that I will neglect my children ?e I hear the young ravens when they cry; shall I not much more fulfil the desire of them that fear me ?f Fear not; you shall be sure to want no good thing. You would not yourselves desire riches, pleasures, or preferment to your hurt.. I will give meat to them that fear me; I will be ever mindful of my covenant."
a Luke xii. 29, 31. b Psalm viii. 3 to the end. Judges v. 20. d Job v. 23. Hos. ii. 18. e Matt. vi. 25 to the end. f Psalm cxlv. 19. cxlvii. 9. g Psalm xxxiv. 10. h Psalm cxi. 5.
2. The co-operation of his providences. My providences shall co-operate to your good. The cross wind shall blow you the socner and swister into your harbor. You shall be preferred, when you seem most debased; and then be greatest gainers, when you seem to be deepest
and most effectually promote your good, when you seem most to deny it.b
II. Things to coine ours.
Things to come are yours: the perfecting of your souls, the redemption of your bodies, the consummation of your bliss.
1. At death, in glorification initiate. When you have glorified me for a while on earth, and finished the work I have given you to do, you shall be caught up into paradise, and rest from your labors, and your works shall fol.
2. The convoy of angels.
I will send of mine own lifeguard to conduct home your departing souls, and receive you
a Rom. viii. 28. b 2 Cor. iv. 17. Mark x. 29. Phil. i, 29. c Rev. xiv. 13. Luke xxiii. 43. d Luke xvi. 22.