Abbildungen der Seite


[graphic][merged small]


Byron Leander Carr, of English descent, the youngest of five children and an only son, was born on September 11, 1842, in the town of North Haverhill, in Grafton county, N. H.

His early life was spent on a farm in his native state. His education was obtained in the public schools of his native town and in the Newbury Academy, at the neighboring town of Newbury, Vt.

At the age of eighteen, while a student in the academy, he responded to the first call for volunteers, and on April 19, 1861, one week after Fort Sumter was fired upon, enlisted in troop M of the Second or New Hampshire Battalion of White Mountain Boys, composing a part of the First Regiment of New England cavalry, the name of which was subsequently changed to the First Regiment, Rhode Island cavalry. In January, 1864, the four troops composing the Second or New Hampshire Battalion were detached from the First Rhode Island cavalry, and became the First New Hampshire cavalry. He was captured by Stuart's cavalry at Middleburg, Va., on June 18, 1863, and sent to Libby Prison, thence to Belle Island, remaining a prisoner of war until the following October, when he was paroled and sent to Annapolis, and afterwards exchanged and returned to his regiment. He reënlisted on February 1, 1864, and served until the close of the war, when he was discharged as acting sergeant major of the First New Hampshire cavalry. He took part with his regiment in many of the important battles of the war. At Fisher's Hill, in September, 1864, he was wounded, and again at Appomatox, on April 9, 1865, the day before Lee surrendered, he was so seriously wounded in his right arm as to render amputation at the shoulder necessary. He remained in the field hospital, the Confederate hospital at Farnesville, Va., and at the Emory Hospital at Washington, from April 9, 1865, to the following July.

After the close of the war he resumed his studies in the Newbury Academy, and in June, 1867, after completing his academ

« ZurückWeiter »