Abbildungen der Seite

ical course, went to Waukegan, Lake county, Ill., where, in the latter part of October, 1867, he was appointed principal of the high school. He was married on October 3, 1867, in the city of Chicago, Ill., to Miss Mary L. Pease, of Maine. In March, 1868, he was appointed superintendent of schools for Lake county, Illinois, to fill a vacancy, and in the fall of 1869 was elected to the same position for a term of four years. He was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of Illinois on August 20, 1870.

In the spring of 1871 he resigned his position as county superintendent of schools and came to Colorado with the ChicagoColorado colony and located in Longmont, Boulder county, at which place he arrived on April 21, 1871, just twenty-eight years previous to his death. He took an active part in founding the colony and opened the first public school in that place, on June 18, 1871, which he taught for a year, with the assistance of his wife. He was the founder of the Longmont Ledger, and was its editor and chief owner for over a year.

Upon his arrival in Colorado, he entered upon the practice of law, being admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of Colorado, May 21, 1872.

In September, 1872, he was elected to the office of district attorney for the second judicial district, and occupied that position for a term of two years.

He was a member of the constitutional convention of 18751876, and served that body as chairman of the Committee on Military Affairs, and as a member of the Committees on Revisions and Adjustments, Education and Educational Institutions, Mines and Mining and Schedule.

On March 16, 1877, he was appointed brigadier general of the First division of the National Guard of Colorado, for a term of two years, and in February, 1884, he was elected department commander of the Grand Army of the Republic of Colorado and Wyoming, which position he held for one year. He served for two years as a member of the national executive council of administration of the Grand Army of the Republic.

He was a prominent candidate before the Republican convention in 1888 for the nomination for the position of judge of the Supreme Court. In the fall of 1894 he was elected on the Republican ticket attorney general of the state of Colorado, for a term of two years, and in the fall of 1896 was elected to the same position upon the fusion Silver Republican and Democratic tickets,

for a second term of two years, which expired on the 10th day of January, 1899.

He was a prominent and respected member of the Masonic fraternity, having been elected to the position of grand master of Masons of Colorado in the year 1879, and grand commander of the Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of Colorado in 1891, serving in that position by special resolve until after the twentyfifth triennial conclave of Knights Templar, held in Denver in the summer of 1892.

During the last few weeks of his official term as attorney general, he was confined to his home with a severe attack of la grippe and pneumonia, and in the month of March, 1899, he suffered a violent attack of congestion of the brain. He died at Mineral Wells, Tex., on April 21, 1899, whither he had gone to recuperate from his recent illness, and where he suffered an attack of diphtheria, which, in his enfeebled condition, he was unable to overcome. His funeral took place at Longmont, Colo., on April 26, 1899, under the auspices of the Grand Lodge of Colorado, A. F. and A. M. The esteem in which he was held was manifested by the large assemblage present.

He was one of the most prominent and successful members of the bar in Northern Colorado. He was skilful and resourceful in court, and an easy and fluent speaker, but his most enduring reputation as a lawyer will be that which he achieved in the line of his specialty of irrigation law.

He was a kind and affectionate husband and father, a generous friend, an honest and conscientious public official.

[graphic][merged small][merged small]
« ZurückWeiter »