Abbildungen der Seite


Richard Moore Crane was born in Dane county, near Racine, Wis., October 7, 1843. He died in Denver, on the 27th day of August, 1898. His early years were passed upon a farm some sixteen miles from Madison, in his native state. At eighteen years of age he enlisted in the Seventh Wisconsin Volunteers, and followed the fortunes of that regiment as a part of the Army of the Potomac. He was taken prisoner at Gettysburg, and so held until finally exchanged. In the battle of the Wilderness he received a wound from the effects of which he suffered until his death.

At the close of the war Mr. Crane returned to his home and shortly thereafter entered the law department of the University of Wisconsin. After an association of several years with Judge Carpenter, in Madison, he removed in 1876, with his family, to Marion, Kan., and thereafter to Topeka. His practice in Kansas continued over a period of seventeen years, during which time he was twice elected as the representative of his district in the

state senate.

Mr. Crane first came to Colorado in 1890. He entered into the practice of his profession at Denver, in the fall of 1891, with T. Webster Hoyt. This association continued until he was elected one of the two justices of the peace for Arapahoe county, some five years later. Although in politics a Republican, he was, upon the expiration of his first term and shortly before his death, reëlected as the candidate of several political parties.

Mr. Crane was a brave soldier, an honorable lawyer, a just and scrupulously conscientious public official, an honest and manly man.

[ocr errors][graphic][merged small]


Henry Wise Hobson was the son of Frederick Plumer Hobson, Esq., and Annie Jennings Wise. His grandfather, John C. Hobson, was a leading merchant of the city of Richmond, Virginia, and his mother was the daughter of Governor Henry A Wise. Deceased was born July 9, 1858, in Goochland county, Virginia, and died August 13, 1898, in the city of New York. In December, 1887, he married Katherine Thayer Jermain, who, with her family of four children, survives him.

In his early prime Mr. Hobson won a place in the front rank of his chosen profession and success remained with him to the end. He was reared on his father's plantation, and after graduating with high honors at William and Mary College, attended the law school of the University of Virginia, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Law in 1876. After taking his degree Mr. Hobson entered upon the practice of law with his uncle, Mr. John S. Wise, at Richmond, Virginia. He came to Colorado in 1880 and located at Buena Vista, where he rapidly acquired a satisfactory practice in mining law.

He was appointed United States District Attorney for Colorado during Mr. Cleveland's first term, and his administration of the office was characterized by vigorous and successful prosecution of violators of federal statutes. As a recognition of his high ability and zeal as district attorney, he was appointed special United States attorney for the entire West, and was immediately placed in charge of the controversy with the Mormon Church in Utah. He rendered distinguished services to the government in this contest, in connection with the well-known Virgil and St. Vrain Land Grant Case, involving several million acres of land in Colorado and New Mexico, and in certain proceedings against the Northern Pacific Railroad Company arising from the devastation of timber lands in Washington Territory.

Upon the inauguration of President Harrison, Mr. Hobson having previously thereto affiliated with the Democratic party,

« ZurückWeiter »