Abbildungen der Seite

Rev. W. W. Martin, Rev. John F. Crow,

Rev. J. M. Dickey,
Rev. Isaac Reed.


James Marshall,

Proctor. John Hudson,

William Henderson, And fourteen students of divinity.

No. 22.


The Rev. Andrew M'Clure was born in Augusta county, Virginia, in May, 1756. He received his education chiefly under the direction of Rev. Mr. Graham, of Rockbridge, and was licensed in 1783.

He visited Kentucky in 1784-staid some time-returned to Virginia-was ordained—and settled with his family on the waters of Round-Oak, about 100 miles from his father's.

He moved to Kentucky' in the fall of 1786. In 1787 he organized Salem congregation, in Clarke county, and Paris congregation, in Bourbon county. He undertook the pastoral charge of Paris church in 1789, and continued with them till his death, which happened in Au

gust, 1793.

Me left a helpless family in a new and a strange country. The God of Israel has, however, in their case, as well as in thousands of similar cases, been the stranger's shield, and the help and the stay of the fatherless and the widow.

The congregation at Paris was at first large and remarkably promising, but was soon much broken up by disputes about Psalmody. It has, however, outlived that, and many other trials and difficulties, and is now one of the best congregations in Kentucky. Their present pastor is the Rev. John M'Farland, who, though not a native of the state, was educated in the state, and studied divinity in the Theological Seminary of NewYork, under the care of Dr. Mason.

The church of Silver Creek, Madison county, was organized by the Rev. James Crawford, about the year 1790. In 1793, Mr. Carey Allen, a licentiate, came from Virginia, and laboured in that part of the state during the summer, with very marked success. He returned to Virginia in the fall-came out again in the spring of 94-accepted a call from the united congregations of Paint Lick and Silver Creek, and was ordained and installed their pastor, 11th October of the same year.

The unhappy dispute about Psalmody disturbed also the peace, and produced a schism, at this time, in this otherwise promising congregation. The evil, however, was not much felt at its commencement, as God remarkably blest the labours of his young servant, so that considerably more were added to the church than left: it. But how mysterious are the ways of God. This faithful and successful minister of the New Testament was called home, August 5th, 1794, before he had completed the first year of his pastoral services.

Mr. Allen was by all accounts a most interesting servant of the Lord Jesus. His name is still held in remembrance by many who had the pleasure of sitting under his ministry. And though his period of service was short, it was far from being useless. The Lord of the harvest gave him his harvest and then took him home.

In the spring and summer of 1796, Mr. Matthew Huston, another licentiate from Virginia, visited these congregations as a missionary, and on the 14th of April, 1797, he was ordained and installed their pastor. He was a popular preacher, was much admired and beloved by his people, and continued to labour among them with apparent faithfulness and success, until the year 1801.

In the summer of 1802 the great revival reached this part of the country. Mr. Huston entered deeply into the work. It continued among his people with almost unabated vigour for two years, and many, of all ranks, and all ages, and all characters, were added to the church.

The fruits were dreadful. In 1803, and 4, and 5, Mr. Huston passed, with a considerable number of his people, through all the errors of Armenianism and Socianism, and finally ended in Shakerism, and with some in infidelity. Mr. Unston being at last deposed by the

the Presbytery, retired with a number of his adherents to one of the Shaker towns.

The churches of Silver Creek and Paint Lick were now reduced literally to an handful. Yet the good Shepherd kept his hand about them. By the faithful and persevering labours of some of the neighbouring fathers, they were re-organized. In 1807 or 8, Rev. Benjamin Irvine providentially had his lot cast within the bounds of Silver Creek, and undertook the pastoral charge of them in the character of a stated supply. He continued to labour among them for eight years. By his ministrations the people of God were strengthened and comforted, and a few were added to the church of such as we believe shall be saved. During the same time Paint Lick congregation was attended to nearly in the same way,and with similar success,by Rev. Samuel Finley, of Lincoln county. And though the prospects were gloomy, and though neither of these aged servants of the Redeenier had much personal comfort in their labours of pure love, yet their labours were not in vain in the Lord, nor will they be without their reward in the day when God shall make up

his jewels. These congregations are at present under the pastoral care of Rev. James C. Barnes, Be was ordained among them, March 6th, 1819. He is a native of Kentucky, and studied divinity in the Seminary at Princeton. His ministrations are well attended. Bible classes for the instruction of the youth have been formed by him, and pastoral visitations have been performed by him to as great an extent as the circumstances inseparable from a widely extended charge will permit.

[ocr errors]

And upon the whole, these two churches may safely be pronounced to be now in a far more flourishing situation than they were in 1802 and 3, when the great revival was in its ženith among them.

The Rev. Samuel Shannon was a graduate of Princeton College, while under the Presidency of Dr. Witherspoon. He was admitted a member of Transylvania Presbytery, as a transfer from the Presbytery of Lexington, Virginia, April 28th, 1789, and was the third Presbyterian clergyman who settled north of the Kentucky river. He lived till the year 1806 in the lower part of Woodford county, and had the charge of a small church, called Woodford church. He then moved across the Kentucky river into Franklin county, where his family remained, and where he had his home till his death.

The last years of his life were spent in Missionary labours, chiefly in the destitute parts of the state of Indidiana. In the summer of 1822, while engaged in one of these missionary excursions, he caught the fever of the season and of the place. Apprehensive of the consequences, he made the best of his way home. His fa'mily met him a few miles from home, but were unable to move bim any farther. They had just an opportunily of expressing their affection towards him, and of receiving his departing blessing, when he expired.

Mr. William Vance was licensed by Transylvania Presbytery, April 3d, 1803. He is represented by those who knew him as having been a young man of

« ZurückWeiter »