« ZurückWeiter »
12 אמי 249 אלי 657 אתה: 430 אל 543 תרחק 694 ממני 212 13 כי 25 צרה 695 קרובה 696 כי 25 אין 697 עוזר: 698 סבבוני 699
פריס 59 רבים 321 אבירי 700 בשן 701 כתרוני: 702 14 פצו 703 עלי 691 פיהם 691 אריה 458 טרף 704 ושאג: 705 15 כמיס 18 נשפכתי 706 והתפרדו 707 כל 97 עצמותי 708
היה 20 לבי 635 כדונג 709 נמס 710 בתוך 36 מעי: 711 16 יבש 712כחרש 713כחי 714 ולשוני 715 מדבק 716מלקוחי 717 17 ולעפר 168 מות 214 תשפתני: 718 כי 25 סבבוני 699
קרב . אן .
, אין י ,to assist . In such participial nouns עזר helter
From עוזר ,698 ו .
694. phu be not far. It is the 2d pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of pro to be at a distance. Vide num. 659.
695. 1773 distress. From 73 distress, masc. As a verb, to oppress, or distress. Also an oppressor.
696. nam is approaching. Part. Paoul fem. Kal of amp to approach. 697. 7'* not. Also nothing, nobody, without, from * to labour.
helper. . , ' after the first radical denotes an agent, coming from Ben. Kal, I before the last radical implies an effect, or something passive, because it comes from the participle Paoul. Vide rules 158, 159.
. I pret. Kal of 330 to encompass.
. , . D'TIX is rendered sometimes horses, and sometimes bulls, from their strength. .
. , . . cattle, to which the enemies of Christ are compared.
. I . . . .
. . . . to let loose, or open. 7 being dropped, vide rule 102.
704. 970 ravening. Part. Ben. Kal. 1 omitted. Rule 78. As a substantive, prey. As a verb, to tear to pieces.
. ! , .
.3d pers , plur סבבו .34
me . Rule ני .have surrounded me סבבוני ,699
. .in the plural אבירים ,strong אביר
.strong bulls of . Sing אבירי .700 , אברים
Bashan . A fertile region , Ez . xxxix . 18. producing large בשן .701
.is the 3d pers , m כתרו .me ני
.have beset me around כתרוני ,702 .to enclose כתר plur
! and roaring
. In the same manner as num . 704. From ושאג .705 ,661 .to roar . Vide num שאג and
11 Be not far from me, for trouble is near; for there is none to help. 12 Many bulls have compassed me, strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
13 They gaped upon me with their mouths as a ravening and a roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint, my heart is like wax, it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws, and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
a bone . As עצם plur . of עצמות or עצמים .mmu י
.my bones עצמותי .708
706. novj I have been poured out. First pers. sing. pret. Niphal of you to pour out.
707. 1999nni and all my bones have separated themselves. I and. It is the 3d pers. plur. pret. Hithp. of 799 to divide.
my . 'ny. . a a verb, to be strong.
709. 20172 as wax. 3 as, or like. 1317 wax. Ps. lxviii. 3. xcvii. 5.
zio. op) it has been melted. It is the 3d pers. sing. preter Niph. of 700 to melt. 17 is dropped by rule 102.
711. Yo my bowels. ' my. Dis dropped in regim. and coalesces with the suffix. Not used in the singular.
712. Wa' has been dried up. The 3d pers. m. sing. pret. Kal. To dry, or to be dry,
713. und like an earthen vessel. ) as. von earthen. Lev. xi. 33. xiv. 5. 50. Jer. xix. 1, &c. A potsherd, Job ii. 8. Prov. xxvi. 23, &c.
714. "Na my strength. : my. 112 strength.
715. 3059 and my tongue. I and." a tongue. jesh is to speak against. why is to knead, as dough.
716. is caused to cleave. Part. masc. Ben. Huphal of adhere, to be dry. John xix. 28.
717. mp'n to my jaws. ' my. D is dropped in regim. 'coalesces. o'mlipsn the upper and lower parts of the mouth. nps to receive.
718. navn thou wilt bring me. ' me. navn 2d pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of now to dispose of.
כלבים 719 עדת 720 מרעים 721 הקיפוני 722 כארי 723 18 ידי 724 ורגלי: 725 אספר 391 כל 97 עצמותי 241 המה 726 19 יביטו 727 יראו 24 בי: 63 יחלקו 728 בגדי 729 להם 127
719. D'abo dogs. Sing. is aba a dog, either from the Arabic to hold fast; or perhaps from aba as the heart, i. e. faithful. Mat. vii. 6.
720. noy the assembly of. In construct. for 777y an assembly, from W to appoint, or convene.
721. O'yin of the evil. A noun in the plur. formed of the part. Ben. masc. Huphal of you to break, to produce disorder, to do evil. : 722. have surrounded me.') me. 15'por is the 3d pers. m. plur. pret. Hiphil of pa to surround. Rule 94.
723. 983 piercing, or the piercers of. A noun, or a Ben. part. plural in regim. agreeing with the noun of multitude nty, from 18 to pierce. But the Complutensian, and three manuscripts and two printed editions of Dr. Kennicott read it 1985, the 3d pers. plur. pret. Kal, and só both the Septuagint and Vulgate read it, and so is the Syriac version.*
* Solomon Bennett, in his reply (1809) to Lord Crawford's letter to the Hebrew nation, renders this versethus; “ For dogs have compassed me, a multitude of wicked have surrounded me x like a lion, my hands and feet.” And says, “ The radical then is '78 a lion, the 3 then is merely a servile, expressing the comparative like, but our translators and Mr. Parkhurst composed a new 'radical, i. e. 783 to pierce, to which we find no similar term in all the Bible, and Hebrew language, the proper
radical for it is 777 to pierce, or dig, but not x]. This new fabrication of a term was the cause of altering the syntax also; they put the comma after enclosed me, they pierce, &c. though according to the proper Hebrew, the stop ought to be after the term 983, but never before it. Secondly, according to the new invention the letter in 'does not belong either to a radical or to a servile, and entirely superfluous."
If 777 be the Hebrew word for to pierce, which does not appear from
any of the numerous places in which it occurs in the bible, except fierce be taken in the sense of to dig for the purpose of making
16 For dogs have compassed me; the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me; they pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I may tell all my bones, they look and stare upon me. 18 They part my garments among them; and cast lots upon my vesture.
724. 'q' my hands. ' my, suffix. Ta hand, plur. D'7'. Dis dropped in reg. and coalesces. From 177' to extend.
725.0929 and my feet. 'my. 1 and. D is dropped in construct. and coalesces. D:600 plur. of han a foot. As a verb, to strike.
726. 09 they. Vide rule 40.
727. 10°9' they will look. Third pers. m. plur. fut. Hiphil of to behold. Vide rule 94.*
728. por they will divide. Third pers. m. plur. fut. Kal of psns to divide. John xix. 23, 24. 729. 'Ja my garments. 'my. o dropped in reg.
. garments, nizia hypocrisies, each the plural of 722 a covering.
a well, our translators still would be tolerably supported, for 190, which is the regular 3d pers. m. plur. perf. Kal of that verb, :7 final being dropped as usual before the servile, is a reading in two of the codices of Kennicott, and in no less than ten of the codices of De Rossi.
It is indubitable that '78) may be rendered as a lion, as it is often in the Old Testament; but the sense would be incomplete and unintelligible. It was no doubt this that led the Syriac translators to render it by lyia, the 70 by wqužav, and the Vulgate by foderunt; and it is extremely incorrect in Mr. Bennett, against the voices of three such ancient versions into different languages, and also against the Arabic and Ethiopic versions, to pronounce the English rendering, they pierced, “ a new fabrication." What he observes of the new invention with respect to 'is puerile; he should have explained away, if it was in his power, the instances of the same thing given by Parkhurst, which are only a few of many which occur.
* Here is a substituted word in the margin, marked with ap which is for ' i. e. read) and the place of insertion is as usual distinguished by o placed above the line. The marginal word to be read is 192 they stood around.
20 ועל 13 לבושי 730 יפילו 731 גורל: 732 ואתה 450 יהוה 154
אל 543 תרחק 659 אילותי 733 לעזרתי 734 חושה: 735 21 הצילה 736 מחרב 361 נפשי 91 מיד 724כלב 719 יחידתי: 737 22 הושיעני 738 מפי 691 אריה 458 ומקרני 739 רמים 740
730. viab my coat, ' my. uidh a coat, from vas to clothe. Rule 159.
731. 1999" they cast. It is the 3d pers. plur. m. fut. Hiphil of 903 to cast down. Vide rule 94.
732. Soud a lot. From God a stone. Such were used anciently for lots. 733. nibux my strength.' my. nibus fem. Sex masc. strength.
. to. tance. Vide num. 698.
-assis עזרה in construct . for עזרת .my י .to ל
.for my helts לעזרתי .734
The Keri or marginal word is generally the true one, which has been omitted, or changed into the Ketib aina (i. e. written) and has been afterwards supplied, or corrected in the margin through a commendable reverence for the text. It has been supposed that Ezra was the person who marked these variations, and put them in the margin to be read instead of the words which he found written in the text. But this is not probable, because such marginal readings are also found in the book of which he was the inspired penman.
It is remarkable that these various readings are of the consonants only, and not of the vowel points, which seems to show that they are of greater antiquity than the points. In Jer. li. 3. the word 777 occurs the second time unnecessarily, which is noticed by those who settled the Keri and Ketib, and by them marked not to be read. It has no vowel points, and may be presumed to have had none when such margin was made, otherwise they would have been preserved as well as the original letters. In Jer. xxxi. 38. the word D'XI coming is wanting in the text and supplied in the Keri, as usual without points, but in the text a blank space is left for the marginal word, and under the space are placed the vowel points. The fair conclusion seems to be, that the makers of the Keri performed their work before the points were added, and that those who added the points, ha