« ZurückWeiter »
22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. 23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day. 24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind, and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle
the plural of 7'm a beast, vide rule 21. and num. 92. or the singular in construction, 17 being changed into n, as in the next verse. Vide rule 26. It is from the root 77'ni to live.
+ The substantive verb 17'07 to be, because of its frequent use should be well understood. Though it follows the rules for other verbs in Lamed He, its Kal is here given for the convenience of the learner, because not usually exhibited in the grammars.
.Infinitive היות or היו or הית
. Being, or she is, or he is 7'107 or 1717 Sing. ? Participle Fem. They are 11177 masc. They are d'177 Plur. S Benoni.
The Hebrews usually intended the present tense when this verb was omitted, but understood; when it was expressed, or given, its tense was generally past, or future like other verbs. Vide num. 557. 642.
ten singular in form and plural in sense, or plural in form and singular in sense, and these are indifferently connected with singularor plural pronouns, adjectives, or verbs. As there is no neuter gender, * 77117n Jer. xviii. 21.
trian Exod. xxii. 31.
למין 61 ואת 6 הבהמה 112 למינה 11 ואת כל 97 רמש 113
האדמה 115 למינהו 65 וירא 24 אלהים 3 כי 25 טוב: 26 26 ויאמר 19 אלהים 3 נעשה 116 ארס 117 בצלמנו 118
כדמותנו 119 וירדו 120 ברגת 121 הים 18 ובעוף 93
השמים : ובהמה 112 ובכל 97 הארץ ובכל 97 הרמש 113 27 הרמש 122 על 13 הארץ: 7 ויברא 2 אלהים 3 את 4
האדם 17 בצלמו 123 בצלם 118 אלהים ברא 2 אתו 194 28 זכר 125 ונקבה 126 ברא 2 אתס: 85 ויברך 103 אתם 85
אלהים 9 ויאמר 19 להס 127 אלהים 3 פרו 128 ורבו 129
earth , a femnoun . If the אדמה
.the earth האדמה .115
Postea עשה verb Vid . num . 115. Adam .דמה is likeness from דמית ,mam ארם .117
. . , . . Nis formative, then the root is po to make smooth or level; but if * be radical and the 7 merely the fem. termination, then the root is DTX to be red. Vide rules 147. 153. 116. nwys we will make. It is the first pers. plur. fut. Kal of the
. . . may have been so called because, he at first bore the image of God; or he may have been named from the red clay, because he was made of the earth. .
. I . a . 35.098 image, from oss to delineate. See num. 3. “ Let us make man,” is an expression of consultation, and marks a difference in man's creation from that of other creatures, in point of importance. “ Let us make man,” regards the animal nature; “ In our image," denotes his spiritual nature, which alone could resemble Deity. “ Let us make,” &c. “ in our image, after our likeness.” Here is the plu-,
our , a pronoun suffix . Vide rule נו .in ג
.in our image בצלמנו .118
a word that in English would belong to that class is often found in both the masculine and feminine gender in the same sentence. There are also instances of the same noun occurring as a masculine in one sense, and as a feminine when the meaning is different. These seeming irregularities occasion sometimes doubt, but as they belong to the language, they form no ground for the imputation of ignorance in the sacred penmen. Vide num. 9 10.
after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and God saw that it was good.
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him, male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them: and God said unto them, Be fruitful and
ral three times expressed, and that in the first person, a manifest agreement with, and proof of, the scriptural doctrine of a plurality in Deity, to which, as God is one in essence, we give the name per sons.
119. 1ning) according to our likeness. ) according to. Vide rule 173. 13 our. Vide rule 35. 0127 similitude, a fem. noun, vide rule 16. from 7107 to make smooth, or to form,
120. 177" and they shall govern. 1 and. 177' for 1777' in the 3d pers. masc. plur. fut. Kal of 7777 to rule. Vide rule 102. In ver. 28, postit is in the 2d pers. plur. imper. Kal.
121.0172 over the fish. 3 in. nat in construction for 727 a fish. Vid. rule 26. Of 17 to multiply.
122. Vnin creeping. 17 emphatic, or whichi vpn the part. Ben. Kal. Vid. rule 78, of ups to creep. Which is creeping is a Hebrew present tense.
123. 199xa in his own image. 2 in. I his. Vide rule 39. For bbs vide num. 118.
124. ins him. For nx, vide num. 4, and 85. I him, a pronoun suffixed. Vide rule 39.
125. Di male. A noun from the root 731 to remember, and perhaps to be strong.
126. napi and female. 1 and. napj a noun from ap).
127. ons to them. 5 to. Vide rule 175. on them. Vide rule 40. to her. and 7. Rule 175. 39.
128. 113 for 1779 be fruitful. It is the ad pers. masc. plur. imperat. Kal of 790 to produce. Vide rule 102.
129. 1371 for inan multiply, and 1 and 2 pers. masc. plur. imp. Kal of 773n to multiply. Vide rule 102.
ומלאו 130 את 4 הארץ 7 וכבשה 131 ורדו 120 בדגת 121 הים 18 ובעוף 99 השמים ובכל 97 חיה 114 הרמשת 132
130. 185i and fill. i and. 1890 is the 2d pers. masc. plur. imp. Kal from boy to fill.
131. 7V2.1 and subdue it. 1 and. 7 it. Vid. rule 39.* was for the 1 and making the root signify the same as if in the 2d pers. plur. imperat. Kal which precedes it. Vide rule 139. Thus the i conjunctive can supply the want of the signs of person, number, mood, and tense, by uniting its verb to the former.
. which. . . Kal. Vide num. 122. It agrees with 77'm. Rule 113. 115.
is the fem . part . Benoni רמשת .suhich ה
.that moueth הרמשת .132
* When parts of the primitive pronouns are prefixed to verbs, they form persons, mostly in the future, and if there be no other change, are readily distinguished by the learner. But when parts of such pronouns are postfixed, they not only form persons and tenses, but are often put to express the object of such verb, and must be recognised as abbreviations suffixed, instead of the primitive pronouns themselves.
When such compounded word happens to be different from the verb itself in any of its forms, the reader, if acquainted with these, and also with the suffixes, can instantly discern that the word is thus double, and distinguish its parts. But it often happens that the addition of an affix to the verb produces a word exactly similar to some other part of the same verb, as in this case; and the reader can only determine by the sense or connexion, whether
pronoun is the object of the verb, and appears in the affix, or the servile or serviles at the end of the word indicate its mood, tense, and person.
Presuming that the learner, after a few lessons, will endeavour to parse by his lexicon and grammar, and use these notes only as a test to show him wherein he has failed, I here subjoin' a few of such similar words, framed out of apo in Kal, that he may compare others with them, and he will find that they will serve with equal advantage also for other conjugations or voices.
multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
"Is the third pers. fem. sing. preter Kal, she hath visited. Is the third pers. masc. sing. pret. Kal, with 77 her. He
visited her. Or the second pers. masc, sing. imper.
with 77 her. Visit thou, man, her. Is the infin. Kal with 17 her. To visit her. Or the parti
ciple Benoni Kal, 1 being dropped, (Rule 78.) with o her. Visiting her.
[Is the third pers. plur. preter Kal. They have visited. Or
the second pers. masc. plur. imperat. Visit ye, scil.
males. Is the second pers. masc. sing. imperat. Kal, with 1 him.
Visit thou (man) him. Or the 3d pers. m. sing. pret.
Kal with i him. He visited him.
ciple Ben. Kal (Rule 78) with 1 him affixed. Visiting
Is the second pers. masc. plur. preter Kal. Ye (males)
have visited. Is the third pers. fem. sing. preter Kal with them
masc. 07 changed into n. Rule 83. She visited them,
(males.) Is the second pers. sing. preter Kal with them masc.
affixed. Thou hast visited them, (males.)
Is the second pers. fem. plur. preter Kal. Ye, females,
have visited. Is the third pers. fem. sing. preter Kal, 17 into n by rule
83. with them fem. affixed. She visited them, females. Is the second pers. sing. Preter Kal, with them fem. affixed. Thou hast visited them, females.