« ZurückWeiter »
council of the wicked layeth siege against me. Ps. xxii. 16.
5. Gunpowder Treason. O Lord, who didst this day discover the snares of death that were laid for us, and didst wonderfully deliver us from the same : Be thou still our mighty Protector, and scatter our enemies that delight in blood : Infatuate and defeat their counsels, abate their pride, assuage their malice, and confound their devices. Strengthen the hands of our gracious sovereign Queen Victoria, and all that are put in authority under her, with judgment and justice to cut off all such workers of iniquity, as turn religion into rebellion, and faith into faction; that they may never prevail against us, or triumph in the ruin of thy Church among us: but that our gracious Sovereign, and her realms, being preserved in thy true religion, and by thy merciful goodness protected in the same, we may all duly serve thee, and give thee thanks in thy holy congregation; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
6. And the chief priests and Scribes sought how they might kill him. Luke xxii. 2. Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets. i Thess. ii. 15.
7. False witnesses did rise up: they laid to my charge things that I knew not. Ps. xxxv. 11.- And they began to accuse him, saying, we found this fellow perverting the nation, and forbidding to give tribute to Cæsar. Luke xxiii, 2.
8. Blessed is he that considereth the poor and needy. Ps. xli. 1. As touching brotherly love, ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another. 1 Thess. iv. 9.
9. Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile ! John. i. 47. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day. Thess. v. 5.
10. He shall reward evil unto mine enemies. Ps. liv. 5. It is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you. 2 Thess. i. 6.
11. This is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. John iii. xix. --- For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned, who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 2 Thess. ii. 11, 12.
12. The Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. 2 Thess. ii. 5.— My soul truly waiteth still upon God; for of him cometh my salvation. Ps. Ixii. i.
13. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. 1 Tim. i. 15. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation ; but is passed from death unto life. John v. 24.
14. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me ; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John vi. 37.- There is one God, and one Mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus; who gave himself a ransom for all. 1 Tim. ii. 5, 6.
15. Meditate upon these things. I Tim. iv. 15. - In the night I commune with mine own heart. Ps. lxxvii. 6.
16. Ye are of your father, the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own : for he is a liar, and the father of it. John viii, 44. Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear. 1 Tim. v. 20.
17. If any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. John ix. 31. For Thou,
Lord, art good and gracious : and of great mercy unto all them that call upon thee.
18. I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John X. 10.Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light, through the gospel. 2 Tim. i. 10.
19. I am the resurrection and the life : he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. John xi. 25. There is sprung up a light for the righteous. Ps. xcvii, 11.
20. Among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue : for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God. John xii. 42, 43, All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 2 Tim. iii. 12.
21. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. John xiji. 17.- Blessed are they that alway keep judgment; and do righteousness, Ps. cvi. 3.
22. They cried unto the Lord in their trouble : and he delivered them from their distress, Ps. cvii. 6.
Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name that will I do. John xiv, 13.
23. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you, John xv. 14.~ This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. Tit. iii. 8.
24. He will teach us of his ways. Is. ii. 3.- When He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth. John xvi. 13.
25. They have cast away the law of the Lord of Hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel. Isai. v. 24. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee. John xvii. 25.
26. One of the officers which stood by struck Jesus
with the palm of his hand. John xviii. 22. It became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. Heb. ii. 10.
27. When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify him, Crucify him. John xix. 6.- The leaders of this people cause them to err. Isai. ix. 16.
28. Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. John xx. 25.— Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. Heb. iv. 11,
29. Though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me. Isai. xii. 1.
- Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. John xxi. 16.
30. St. Andrew. COLLECT FOR THE DAY. Almighty God, who didst give such grace unto thy holy A postle, St. Andrew, that he readily obeyed the calling of thy Son, Jesus Christ, and followed him without delay; grant unto us all, that we, being called by thy holy word, may forthwith give up ourselves obediently to fulfil thy holy commandments; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.
DECEMBER 1. The Lord will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land; and the strangers shall be joined with them, and they shall cleave to the house of Jacob. Isai. xiv. 1.- Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. Acts ii. 39.
2. At that day shall a man look to his Maker, and his eyes shall have respect to the Holy One of Israel. Isai. xvii. 7.— We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the Heavens. Heb. viii. 1.
3. All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isai. xviii. 3. — Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Acts iv. 10, 11, 12
4. Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. Acts v.5.- It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Heb. x. 31.
5. There are false witnesses risen up against me. Ps. xxvii. 14.- They suborned men, which said, we have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses, and against God. Acts vi. 11.
6. They stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep. Acts vii. 59, 60.- Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee. Isai. xxvi. 3.
7. Here we have no continuing city, but we seek one to come. Heb. xiii. 14.- The righteous shall inherit the land: and dwell therein for ever. Ps. xxxvii. 30.