Abbildungen der Seite


At the end of this year, a peace was concluded between the duke of Burgundy and the Liegeois. Many meetings had been held before the two parties could agree on terms: at last it was settled that the Liegeois should pay the duke one hundred and fifty thousand nobles by way of compensation for the damages they had done to his country of Namur, by demolishing his castles, and other mischiefs. They also consented to raze to the ground the tower of Mont-Orgueil, near to Bovines, which they held, and which indeed had been the chief cause of the war.

They completely fulfilled all the articles of the treaty; and the pledges for their future good conduct were John de Hingsbergh their bishop, Jacques de Fosseux, and other nobles of the country of Liege. For the more effectual security of this treaty, reciprocal engagements were interchanged between the parties; and thus the Liegeois, who had been in very great alarms and fear, were much rejoiced to have peace firmly established throughout their territories.


[ocr errors]

At the commencement of this year, John duke of Bedford espoused, in the town of Therouenne, Jacquelina, eldest daughter to Pierre de Luxembourg count de St. Pol, and niece to Louis de Luxembourg bishop of Therouenne, chancellor of France for king Henry, and also to sir John de Luxembourg. This marriage had been long negotiated by the bishop, who was very eager to bring it about, and he was at that time the principal minister and adviser of the said duke. The duke of Burgundy was not in that country when it was solemnized,—but hearing of it on his return, he was displeased with the count de St. Pol for having thus, without his knowledge or advice, disposed of his daughter.

The wedding-feasts were celebrated in the episcopal palace of Therouenne; and for the joy and happiness the duke felt in this match (for the damsel was handsome, well made and lively,) and that it might be long had in remembrance, he presented to the church of Therouenne two magnificent bells of great value, which he had sent thither from England at his own cost. Some days after the feasts were over, he departed from Therouenne.


At this time, sir Louis de Vaucourt and sir Regnault de Versailles, attached to king Charles, accompanied by about three hundred combatants, surprised, about day-break, and took by scalado the town of St. Valery in Ponthieu. The town was governed for the duke of Burgundy by Jean de Brimeu, and great mischiefs were done there by the French according to their custom of dealing with conquered towns. The capture of this place alarmed the whole country round, and not without cause; for within a few days they greatly reinforced themselves with men-at-arms, and commenced a severe war on all attached to the English or Burgundians. The most part of those in the neighbourhood entered into an agreement for security with them, for which they paid heavy sums of money.

At this time also, by means of Perrinet Crasset, governor of la Charité on the Loire for king Henry, was that town and castle given up. It was strongly situated, and had not been conquered during the whole of the war.


TowARD the end of May in this year, the dukes of Bedford and of Burgundy went to St. Omer to confer together on several public matters, and to consider on certain angry expressions that had been used and reported on both sides. The cardinal of England was with the duke of Bedford, and very desirous to bring these two dukes to a right understanding with each other. However, though these two noble princes were come to Saint Omer for this purpose, and though it had been settled that they were to meet at an appointed time without either being found to wait on the other; nevertheless, the duke of Bedford expected that the duke of Burgundy should come to him at his lodgings, which he would not do. Many of their lords went from the one to the other to endeavour to settle this matter of ceremony, but in vain.

At length the cardinal waited on the duke of Burgundy, and, drawing him aside, said in an amicable manner, “How is this, fair nephew, that you refuse to compliment a prince who is son and brother to a king, by calling on him, when he has taken so much trouble to meet you in one of your own towns, and that you will neither visit nor speak to him 7” The duke replied, that he was ready to meet him at the place appointed. After a few more words, the cardinal returned to the duke of Bedford; and within a short time, the two dukes departed from St. Omer without anything further being done, but more discontented with each other than before.


IN this year died, in the town of Lille, at a very advanced age, master John de Toisy bishop of Tournay, and president of the duke of Burgundy's council. John de Harcourt, bishop of Amiens, was nominated by the holy father the pope to succeed him, which much displeased the duke of Burgundy, for he was desirous to have promoted to it one of his counsellors, called master John Chevrot, archdeacon of the Vexin under the church of Rouen. The duke had spoken on this subject to the bishop of Amiens, that when it should become vacant he might not apply for it; and it was reported, that de Harcourt had promised not to accept thereof. However, when he had been translated to Tournay, the duke ordered all his subjects, in Flanders and elsewhere, not to pay him any obedience; and, in addition, the whole, or greater part of the revenues of the bishopric were transferred to the duke, to the great sorrow of the bishop. IIoping, nevertheless, to devise some means for a reconcilement, he resided a long time in Tournay as a private person, where he was obeyed, and much beloved by the burghers and inhabitants. During this interval, the archbishopric of Narbonne became vacant, and, through the solicitations of the duke of Burgundy, it was given to John de Harcourt by the pope, and the bishopric of Tournay to the before-mentioned Jean de Chevrot. This translation was made by the holy father to please all parties, more especially the duke of Burgundy; but it was very unsatisfactory to Jean de Harcourt, who refused to be translated, saying, that the pope had only done it to deprive him of his bishopric of Tournay. The duke, seeing that he would not comply, was more angered against him and the townsmen of Tournay than before, and in consequence forbade his subjects to carry any provisions to Tournay, under pain of confiscation and corporal punishment. He had it also proclaimed, that all persons should give to his officers information where any property lay belonging to the burghers of that town, that it might be confiscated. Very many mischiefs were done for the space of four or five years, on account of this discord. During which time, the count d'Estampes was sent into Tournay with a large company of knights and esquires, to take possession of the bishopric for Jean de Chevrot, although John de Harcourt was in the town. It happened, therefore, that when the count d'Estampes had ordered master Stephen Vivien to take possession of the cathedral, the greater part of the townsmen, to show their discontent at the proceeding, rose in rebellion, and advanced to the cathedral, where Vivien, seated on the episcopal throne, was going through all the ceremonies and acts that he had been ordered to do in the name of Jean Chevrot, in taking possession of the bishopric. The populace no sooner witnessed what he was about than they rudely pushed him from the throne, and tore his surplice and other parts of his dress. Many, in their rage, would have put him to death if the officers of justice had not laid hands on him and carried him off as their prisoner, giving the crowd to understand that he should be judicially punished to their satisfaction.

INsukkrction of Tournay—View looking towakos the Cathedral. From an original drawing.

John de Harcourt, on whose account this riot had been raised, restrained them as much as he could by gentle remonstrances, and begging of them to return to their houses, for that all would end well, and he would legally keep possession of his bishopric ; after some little time the commonalty retired, and the magistrates and principal inhabitants made the best excuses they could to the count d'Estampes for this riot, for they were afraid they should fare the worse for it in times to come. The count d'Estampes, finding nothing effectual could be done, departed, and returned to the duke of Burgundy at Arras, and told him all that had passed in Tournay. He was much vexed thereat, and issued stricter orders than before to distress the town, so that from this quarrel respecting the two bishops very many persons suffered great tribulations. Even after the peace was concluded between king Charles and the duke of Burgundy, the king was much displeased at the conduct of the duke respecting Tournay, and was desirous of supporting the claim of John de Harcourt.

John de Harcourt perceiving that the duke was obstinately bent on having Jean de Chevrot bishop of Tournay, and that he should not be allowed to enjoy peaceably the revenues of the bishopric, and that withal his lands in Hainault had been seized on and confiscated by the duke, departed from Tournay, and went with a few attendants to the king, who gave him a most gracious reception, and he then continued his journey to his archbishopric of Narbonne. Thus did Jean de Chevrot gain the bishopric of Tournay, who sent thither, to take possession, a canon of Cambray named master Robert d’Auclair. He was at this time very courteously received there, and obeyed as his procurator.



A Bout this time, ambassadors were sent from the three estates of the duchy and county of Burgundy to the duke, to remonstrate with him on the great damages the partisans of king Charles were doing to his country by fire and sword, more especially his brother-in-law the duke of Bourbon. They told him, that they had already taken by force many towns and castles, and were daily making further inroads into the country, which must be totally destroyed unless a speedy remedy was applied. They concluded by requesting most humbly that he would, out of his grace, raise a sufficient body of men, and that he would personally march to their assistance. The duke, having heard their harangue, assembled his council, and then determined to collect men-at-arms from all his dependencies in Brabant, Flanders, Artois, Hainault, and other parts. Clerks were instantly employed to write letters to the different lords, knights, and esquires, who had usually served him in his wars, to assemble as many men-at-arms and archers as they could raise, and be ready to march with him at the beginning of the month of May, whither he might be pleased to lead them. The captains, on receiving these orders from their prince, made every diligence to obey them; and several soon brought their men into the field, which harassed much the countries of Picardy, Ponthieu, Artois, Tournesis, Ostrevant, Cambresis, Vermandois, and the adjoining parts, for the duke had not been equally diligent in completing his preparations, so that these men remained wasting the countries aforesaid for upwards of a month. At the end of May, the duke having assembled, from divers parts, a great quantity of carriages, stores, and artillery, set out from the town of Arras on the 20th day of June, attended by many of his captains. He was also accompanied by his duchess, who had a numerous attendance of ladies and damsels, to the amount of more than forty; and they were lodged in Cambray, where sir John de Luxembourg met him, and requested that he would come to his castle of Bohain, to which the duke assented. On the morrow, when the duke and duchess had heard mass in the church of our Lady at Cambray, and afterward taken some refreshment, they set out for the castle of Bohain, where they were joyfully and honourably received by sir John de Luxembourg, count de Ligny, and the countess his lady. They and their attendants were plentifully and nobly served with all sorts of provisions that were in season: and they remained there for two days, taking their pleasures in the chase and other amusements. In the mean time, the captains and men-at-arms advanced into the Rethelois. The duke and duchess, on leaving Bohain, went to Peronne, and thence through Champagne, passing near to Rheims. There were with him full six thousand combatants, as well men-at-arms as archers, the principal leaders of whom were the lord de Croy, sir John de Croy, his brother, sir John de Hornes, seneschal of Brabant, the lord de Crequi and his brother, sir John bastard de St. Pol, his brother Louis, the lord de Humieres, sir Baudo de Noyelle, the lord de Crevecoeur, Robert de Neufville, Lancelot de Dours, Harpin de Richammes, and many other nobles, as well knights as esquires. When the duke marched through Champagne, he formed his troops into a van-guard, a main body, and a rear-guard. Sir John de Croy commanded the first under his brother, and he had with him Harpin de Richammes. During the march, all the baggage was placed between the van and main body; and the duchess, then far gone with child, was there also, with her women, and near to the duke. The army marched in this array before the town of Troyes, that was held by the French, and advanced to Cappes on the line to Burgundy. Many of the Burgundian lords now joined him, to whom he gave a gracious reception,--and having called a council of war, resolved on their future proceedings. It was settled that the duchess should fix her residence with her attendants at Châtillon-sur-Seine, while the duke marched to lay siege to Mussil'Evêque, in the possession of the French. Great preparations were made, and many pieces of artillery were pointed against the gates and walls. The garrison once intended making an obstinate defence; but when they saw how numerous and well-appointed were the duke's forces, and found they had no hope of succour, after eight days' siege, they capitulated to surrender the place, on having their lives and fortunes spared. On the conclusion of this treaty, they marched away under the duke's passports for St. Florentin. When the duke had appointed a new garrison, he went to the duchess at Châtillon, and his men-at-arms advanced toward the county of Tonnerre.


WHEN the duke of Burgundy had sojourned some days at Châtillon, he ordered the duchess to go to Dijon, where she was most honourably received, and he himself went after his army. He had Lussigines and Passy besieged; and the first was so hard pressed that the garrison surrendered on having their lives spared, but giving up their effects. Those of Passy also gave hostages to surrender on the first day of September following, unless the duke and his army should be fought withal and beaten by his adversaries before that time.

Many other castles and forts held by the French, who were much alarmed at the great power of the duke of Burgundy, were yielded up to him; namely, Danlermoine, Herny, Coursaint, Scealesloug, Maligny, Saint Phalle, Sicry, Sabelly, and others, to the amount of twenty-four. After these surrenders, the duke went to Dijon, and his captains and menat-arms were quartered over the country. Sir John de Croy was the commander-in-chief at all these sieges of places that submitted to the obedience of the duke of Burgundy.


In this year agentleman of Hainault was accused of treason against the duke of Burgundy. His name was Gilles de Postelles, who had been brought up as a dependant on the dowagercountess of Hainault, aunt to the said duke. He was charged with having practised with divers of the nobles of that country to put the duke to death by shooting him with an arrow, or by some other means, while hunting in the forest, whither he would accompany him. For this cause, he was arrested in the mansion of the countess, at Quesnoy, by sir William de Lalain", bailiff of Hainault. When he had been strictly examined and tortured, he was beheaded and quartered in the market-place of Mons, and his quarters were sent to be placed in the four principal towns of that country. One of his servants was beheaded with him; but John de Vendeges, to whom he had discovered his plot, fled the country, and afterward, by means of different excuses, and through the interest of his friends, was pardoned by the duke. The countess of Hainault was strongly suspected of being implicated in this affair, but nothing was clearly proved against her.

* Of this family, (“a family,” says Comines, “ of great mentioned. He died in 1444. Sansay, the second son and brave men, who for the most part found their deaths of Otho, married the heiress of the family of Robesarte: in fighting for their native princes,”) was Otho lord de and Simon, the third son, has been already mentioned, Lalain, who died in 1441, at the advanced age of 108 years. unless that be another Simon, the first-cousin of Otho. See His eldest son William, who succeeded him in his honours, ante, p. 585. and was bailiff of Hainault and Holland, is the person here

« ZurückWeiter »